Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

CWD in Wisconsin

11/2/19 @ 6:59 AM
ORIGNAL POST
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Why is everything with the DNR and some members of the public in regards to CWD a crisis and sky is falling scenario? CWD has been around since the 1960s out west. It was discovered in Wisconsin over 10 years ago. It was going to wipe out the deer herd and the economy.  Be a threat to deer hunting as we have known it. The DNR tried to eradicate the deer herd around Mt Horeb and other places where CWD was prevalent but to no avail. If CWD is such a threat to wipe out the deer population,  how come the deer population is higher than ever near Mt Horeb and other areas where is prevalent? Lot of people claim the past approach on CWD as not being aggressive enough. What do people want done ? Killing more deer or eradicating has not been the solution or showed any effect. People screaming we have to do something an acting on pure emotion and not logic is not the answer.  To date I don't think anything scientifically has been proven to be the answer.  Why keep killing or over harvesting does in many areas because they might have CWD? If the deer is unnecessarily killed by a hunter or dies if CWD it is dead either way. Amazing how the DNR is influencing the CDACS in many areas to issue doe tags in many areas when not needed especially in the northern third of the state where in many areas the deer population is low due to over harvest of does in the past using a flawed SAK population formula for many years by DNR.  Since CWD is much more prevalent in older bucks if anything dnr should encourage shooting of bucks not does. I am not buying the deer herd has recovered up north in 2-3 years cause it hasn't.  The DNR and others are using CWD as an excuse to kill more deer and possibly sell more doe tags that aren't needed keeping the deer population numbers at or near 30 year lows in areas up north.  Reading a recent article in Wisconsin Outdoor News quoting Bob Nack of DNR. States we are losing deer hunters.  Hunters aren't happy.  They aren't seeing  deer.  Getting out of the sport. Do you blame them. Memo to Bob Nack and Kevin Wallenfang of the DNR, if you want to sell more licenses and keep people in the sport and bring new people in, increase the deer population in many areas. It isn't rocket science,  a lot of hunters are not happy.  I wish the DNR would stop posting all these bogus pr deer forecasts saying deer hunting will be great all over the state when it isn't.  Deer hunters would have a lot more respect for the DNR if their reports were accurate and hunters don't have false expectations.  Back to CWD.  What do people want done in regards to CWD when nothing has proven to work. ? I think testing if hunters want to know status of deer they shot and good disposal of carcasses are the only things to be done now in addition to banning baiting statewide permanently period. What do others think?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 70 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 1:03 AM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

I was asked a specific question about PR dollars spent on CWD at DNR.   I contacted a friend and provided the data that was sent to me.

It is accurate.

Crafting efficacious CWD policy is extremely difficult due to the lack of fundamental facts.  Until we have specific questions answered, crafting policy will be difficult.

It is unprofessional and illogical to guess when crafting policy or legislation to deal with the CWD epidemic, or any other aspect of natural resources.  

Scientific research will provide the data policy makers need to write policy that effectively addresses the CWD epidemic.  

11/20/19 @ 11:44 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Trouter, 

From the cwd research done to date, what legislation have policy makers made that has had any effect on cwd? A more real number I have received from a non DNR person who has been involved with cwd since the beginning is that $52 million dollars has been spent on cwd in this state since cwd was discovered in 2002. I never listen to the dnr about numbers since they have used and continue to use a highly flawed sakdeer population formula that is plus or minus 121% of the deer population.  That is why in many parts of the state the deer population is in rough shape. Trouter I don't think any of us would use a formula that is plus or minus 121% to balance our check books but the dnr keeps using this formula.

11/20/19 @ 11:13 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Trouter, 

You sure you are a politician.  Sounds like you're good at spending other people's money just like them. I think your biggest mistake is going to the DNR to answers as to how much money is being spent on CWD. Your guesstimate seem somewhat light on the amount being spent .  You are listening to the DNR about numbers? When Kevin Wallenfang and the DNR are spreading garbage propaganda numbers that the deer population is the highest in state history this year over 2 million when the kill numbers are definitely not showing this. Just giving hunters misinformation to try to sell licenses and it is backfiring more and more as license sales keep going down . Someone needs to reel these people from the DNR in. Oh and by the way 4-5  dnr cwd research projects Daniel Storm is heading up are funded by Federal Pittman Robertson federal funds.  Just because people say the money isn't coming from state funds doesn't mean it's free money.  It is money coming from all of us who buy firearms, ammunition and archery equipment. 

11/20/19 @ 9:33 PM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
User since 8/31/11

4 million in 3 years dang the DNR could have added 9 elk to the herd with that kind of money or done a nice write up on global warming/VHS crisis in next month's Natural Resources Mag.

11/20/19 @ 7:58 PM
outfishin
MEMBER since 1/14/13

Brent,

I agree with your entire post and have the same feelings on cwd. 

I don’t deny that it’s real. I do however think it’s blown up to be a bigger problem than what it really is. I know this has been gone over I’m sure but why don’t I ever see trail camera pictures or videos of these sick deer? Thousands and thousands of trail cameras in the woods now days and I’ve seen very very few photos or videos of sick deer. Like I said, I don’t deny that it’s here or deny that it’s a problem but in my opinion it’s blown up for whatever reason. If someone has some pictures feel free to put them up here...

11/20/19 @ 7:46 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

To each his own madforlabs, I don’t have any issue with those who would like to take a deeper dive and learn more - it’s a personal choice.

At the end of the day, we all have things that concern us, but CWD doesn’t make the top 100 of things in life that I worry about. 

It’s just interesting to me that some “worry” about consuming a deer with CWD, but don’t give a second thought to purchasing beef or a bag of salad from a local grocer - as both are far more likely to make you ill than a wild deer from Wisconsin. 

I really don’t believe that is disputable...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
11/20/19 @ 7:38 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

....or maybe "some people" take a little deeper dive into the etiology behind the disease and better understand the long term repercussions likely to impact our deer herds.

11/20/19 @ 7:26 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

There’s no denying that CWD exists in the Wisconsin deer herd, I just don’t believe it rises to the level of concern that some folks exhibit, and are fearful to consume their harvest. 

I worry more about getting a bag of salad from a local grocer tainted with salmonella. That seems to happen every week somewhere in the Sates. 

In our deer camp this year, no one is concerned enough to get a test, myself included.

Although CWD is an issue, I believe it gets too much press, which is why some folks are more concerned than others...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
11/20/19 @ 6:39 PM
sniper
User since 10/17/01

Thank Rep. Joel Kleefisch and the Joint Finance Committee for the rule changes, not the DNR. They were inserted into the 2017 budget. 

11/20/19 @ 6:04 PM
Mike 04
Mike 04
User since 5/19/16

Plus, if the awesome DNR really wanted to test our deer, that should not have gotten rid of back tags and having to register deer at local gas stations...  When they did that, they would have people their to test deer.  Now, hardy anyone is going to go find a testing center.  I probably got 6-8 deer tested in the past at the local gas station in richland county and none were positive for CWD even though they act like that is one of the infested counties :0 

Getting rid of back tags was stupid for knowing how many deer are harvested as well.  How many people forget to call in their deer now???  Tons I bet.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 70 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.