SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Canned venison recipies

12/3/18 @ 9:13 AM
INITIAL POST
castle rock rigger
User since 12/9/12

Just canned 15 pints of hind quarters. Any ideas for meals with it??

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
11/16/20 @ 3:40 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Anyone have a spicy canned venison recipe?  I love heat in just about everything.

3/15/20 @ 6:33 PM
Joe Cool
Joe Cool
User since 4/23/15

Straight out of the jar cold on a buttered bun is good also!

My Recipe; Pack jar's with cubed venison, pinch of salt and 2 Tbls. of premixed Onion Soup Mix. Meaning you make the Onion Soup Mix according to the direction's with water(hot).

3/15/20 @ 5:13 PM
pew.hunter
User since 9/18/02

Redhook "cold canning" is another term for "raw packing". It still must be pressure canned as you stated.

3/14/20 @ 10:01 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Summers Off please tell me more about cold canning venison, I love  canned venison but 90 min in a pressure cooker is a pain and why I have switched to bulk sausage (Italian/breakfast/polish) instead when I have a good year. Thanks   

3/10/20 @ 1:02 AM
Summers Off
User since 5/9/06

I cold can my venison. Started doing it with my Grandma 38 years ago. Very easily recipe. One beef bouillon cube, pack jar with trimmed (no fat or tallow) and cube meat, one slice of raw onion on top.  Can be used in soups, pasta dishes, made into hot beefs, or served over mashed potatoes.  Anywhere you use beef use canned venison. 

12/11/19 @ 7:59 PM
splitG2
splitG2
User since 10/12/07

I canned a whole deer this year minus the back straps. 36 pints.  Raw packed in cubes with 1/2 tsp canning salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp pepper. I like making stroganoff. Pour over a bed of pasta. Or will just take a pint to work and eat right out of the jar at room temp. Delish!

12/11/19 @ 6:20 PM
GameHog
User since 7/4/16

I can mine in quart jars. Cut into cubes pack jars tight add 1 tsp canning salt. No need to add liquid if you don’t want it makes it’s own. Lately been cubing up some pork loin and mixing it with the venison. Just makes for a few more quarts and it’s tasty

12/11/19 @ 2:15 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Canned venison has become one of my absolute favorite meals. 

I like to fry a bed of onions and carrots with bits of bacon, and then mix in the canned venison. Top off with a little home made hot sauce and it is incredible. 

Also very good with BBQ and shredded. Similar to pulled pork.

12/11/19 @ 11:38 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme

2019 season was good to me and I got two deer, so I canned the front quarters and made 8 pints (that's what fits in my pressure cooker).  That's about 10 pounds of meat. 

It's also really good to just open up the jar and eat it cold.  Makes an excellent lunch if in a hurry.

How does everyone can their venison?  For me I cut it in chunks, brown it, stuff the pint jars as much as I can then fill with liquid, which I just use a Lipton Onion Soup Mix, follow directions on the package, and I add one clover of garlic to each jar.  Pressure cook at 10 PSI for 75 minutes.

12/4/18 @ 4:35 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I canned a bunch of last year's deer with some BBQ sauce.  It enhances the flavor a bit but if you're really wanting to make BBQ sandwiches out of it, you're going to have to add more.  My wife dumps a pint of canned venison in a pot and adds BBQ sauce and spices and makes some really good sammies.  I've even started picking up cuts of beef in the close-out section cheap and have been canning that for when the venny runs out.

12/4/18 @ 2:38 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme

Heat it up, take meat out and thicken the sauce to make gravy. I use corn starch/water until it's thickened to my liking. Then serve over mashed potatoes. 

Second thing I use canned venison for is in chili. Add jar to your favorite chili recipe (I like black bean chili). So good!

12/3/18 @ 1:47 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18
My favorite way is to fry some onions/carrots/peppers in a generous amount of butter, and then add in the canned venison. Mix it all together and enjoy. Simple, but one of my favorites. 
12/3/18 @ 1:11 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

There is a thread in the Recipes forum with a number of ideas. I want to try the one that involves canning it with the bbq sauce. Sounds awesome.

https://www.lake-link.com/forums/recipies-and-cooking/

12/3/18 @ 10:52 AM
castle rock rigger
User since 12/9/12

Thank you sir!

12/3/18 @ 9:36 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I use a brown gravy mix to get one cup of gravy. Use about 3/4 cup water instead of the one cup in the instructions. Add to that 3/4 cup water the liquid in the canned venison. Simmer the gravy as per instructions, add canned venison and simmer another 10 minutes. Put over potatoes, noodles, bread or in buns. You can also make up vegetable stock for soup and add canned venison for a “vegetable beef” soup. Drain the canned venison well and mix with your favorite barbecue sauce and simmer 20 minutes for barbecued.    “beef” sandwiches. Substitute canned venison for hamburger in chili or a casserole. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE