SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Camera non-malfunction?????

10/3/22 @ 2:08 PM
INITIAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Long story short - it's been a hectic spring/summer/fall.

I finally got some cameras put out 4 weeks ago at our 3 stands up in Douglas Co.  Got too busy with other things until yesterday.  My son wants to do the youth hunt next weekend, so yesterday was the last day I had.

Got to the first stand, evicted some spiders and swept out the acorn shells.  Went to check the camera - opened it up and the switch was OFF.  I'm thinking it's 50:50 I forgot to turn it on vs some jerk wandering through and messing with me.  Chip was still in it, so I swapped them out.  Headed to the next stand.

Opened up THAT camera, switch was OFF.  Now I'm 99% sure someone was messing with the cameras.  No way I forget to turn 2 of them on.  Swapped out chips.

Headed to the 3rd stand - that camera was on the far side of the property, it was ON.  Shut it off, swapped chips, turned it on, headed out.  I don't have a portable reader, and I needed to get home.

2 hours later, I have my stuff put away.  Fired up the laptop.  Popped the first chip in, figuring it will be A - completely deleted, or B - have some pics then I'll see someone sneakily (or not so sneakily) shutting it off.  It had 900 pics, from the day I hung it on the tree, to the last pic of me opening it up 2 hours earlier.

Second chip (from the other camera that was switched off) - same exact thing - steady pictures from the day I hung it to the last burst of pics of me opening it up.

Third camera had a full chip - from last year (dammit).

So, has anyone ever had something like this happen?  It WAS a long day, but I am dead-nuts sure both of those switches were in the OFF position when I opened them up, yet they functioned perfectly.

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
10/4/22 @ 9:36 AM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

We have cameras out in Douglas county as well . Last year we started to use the cell add ons . This way we see what's going on as it happens . So , last year someone twisted off/clipped the wires from the card to the units of 2 out of 3 cameras . It's not like these are in places where a lot of people go . Just another sign of the times I guess !

10/4/22 @ 9:30 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Probably trespassers that didn't want to be seen, but still had a fraction of decency by not stealing your cams.  At least they weren't stolen.  We had 5 cameras recently stolen from our private property that were over a 1/2 mile from the road.  If it is an actual on/off switch, how else would they have pictures if the switch was off.

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE