Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Button on rifle magazine???

3/25/20 @ 10:56 AM
INITIAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Hey all,

This should be an easy question to answer for someone - 

Last fall I bought a Remington 7600 .243 for my son.  It only had one magazine, so I've been looking on and off for a second one.

I've seen some on EBay that have a button on the bottom left side.  What is that for/what does it do, and can I use a clip like that in the rifle?

Thanks!

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
4/1/20 @ 6:41 PM
Wireline
User since 3/18/02

Used to have a 742.  Was times when fired 5 shots and needed one more.  Could shove one in the camber and hit the button and was faster than pulling and loading the clip.

3/31/20 @ 9:45 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Thanks for the answers.  Very logical/reasonable.

So, I ended up buying one.  It arrived yesterday.  I tried it as best I could without actually firing a round, just working the pump to eject and load the shells.

Didn't work so well.  Loaded the first shell fine, but the second one jammed.  Tried it a few times to see if it would happen again, and it did.

Not sure if an actual semi-auto works the action faster than I worked the pump, and that's the difference, or what.

3/28/20 @ 1:47 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

I always figured the reason the action stays open on a semi-auto when it's emptied is more of a safety feature. One glance and you see it's unloaded.

Tim

3/27/20 @ 6:30 PM
cubfan
User since 11/6/01

Ive had it happen, so you can put a bullet right in the barrel and close it and shoot another round faster than taking clip out to reload. 

Thats my take on it. 

3/27/20 @ 10:08 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

I guess I don't see the point in holding the action open on the semi-auto rifles after the final shot.

Anyone who uses one care to explain?

Is it like a pistol, where the slide is locked back to load the first shell of the next clip?

3/26/20 @ 11:11 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

When I first started deer hunting I had a Model 742 (Semi) and the owner of the cottage had the 760 (pump).  Easy way to put it: The clip from a 742 CAN be used on a 760.  However, the clip from a 760, CAN be used in a 742 however, the chamber will not be held open when the clip is emptied.

3/25/20 @ 2:08 PM
tankman
User since 8/6/08

that's exactly what it's for.

Once the clip is empty, it holds your action open.

Slide that button forward and the action slams shut.

It should work fine in a pump as well.

3/25/20 @ 11:19 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

OK, so I've since learned that those buttons are on clips used in semi-auto rifles to hold the action open after the final shot.

I've never owned a semi-auto, so I've never seen one before.

I'm guessing I wouldn't want to use one in a pump rifle..........

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE