SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Best binoculars for hunting wisconsin woods

7/14/20 @ 6:08 PM
INITIAL POST
castle rock rigger
User since 12/9/12

I am looking for the best pair of binoculars for wisconsin woods deer hunting under $500, no higher than 10 power. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
8/22/20 @ 9:13 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I want Lux optical on a tripod in the woods.........Not really. I used to use a light weight pair of really nice but old Zeiss binocs from my late fatherinlaw. They seemed perfect, and taped with camo worked fine. Walk and sit means roast or freeze, but it's what I do. Somehow the tattered leather strap gave way and the binocs slipped away and were gone. Tracing my GPS track back proved futile. My new gifted West Marine waterproof set are great but get left behind because I have strict weight restrictions for walking. Someday my eyes may get worse or I'll be forced to restrict walking, God forbid. I see blaze orange tape in the future for the new set. The camo tape works way too well.

8/21/20 @ 6:32 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
8/17/20 @ 7:56 AM
castle rock rigger
User since 12/9/12

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did end up buying a pair of vortex diamond back binos. I compared them to the vipers. I was more impressed with the diamondbacks. I also ordered the Rick Young Bino Strap. Very versatile! On top of the great deal, I got 40% off for my 4 years stint in the Navy 50 years ago. THANKS VORTEX!!!

8/16/20 @ 4:33 PM
not enough time
User since 6/3/08

Look at Tract. They are awesome company to deal with. It seams someone is always available. I don't have their  binoculars  yet but have bought 3 of their scopes. The glass of the scopes is some of the best around. My next scope and binoculars will be a Tract. Good luck in your search. 

8/5/20 @ 5:13 PM
tj2304
User since 3/26/09

I’ve used a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks the last few seasons(10x50). I don’t have anything bad to say about them. Great clarity, durable, they’ve held up well to weather and abuse(kids??). Highly recommend. Good Luck!

7/22/20 @ 7:48 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

One more vote for Vortex. 

7/19/20 @ 10:09 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

8x30 Nikon

7/19/20 @ 9:36 PM
Kutt2
User since 10/31/15

There is only one company that makes binoculars, Vortex 

7/16/20 @ 10:29 AM
duxup
User since 8/5/05

In that price range you can get very good glass. Leupold, Meopta, Vortex, Steiner, Nikon, Cabelas all have good offerings. Go to Optics Planet to see many options and read reviews. Vortex is WI made. If you're a bow hunter, typical woods gun hunter, or don't use binos a lot,  I'd stick with 8X. If you gun hunt over big open fields, consider the 10X. I have 8X Steiner and Cabelas and like them both. I've used Vortex 10X and they are excellent as well.

7/15/20 @ 3:33 PM
brtn610
brtn610
User since 12/30/07

I bought a pair of Maven B.3 8x30 a few years ago for archery elk and Wisconsin whitetail hunting and have been VERY happy with them. They are compact, good clarity and low light performance, and not too expensive ($498 through their demo program right now, can try for 2 weeks and return if unhappy). For me they are the perfect bino for what I do. 8 power is plenty for glassing up to 500 yards given you have a good rest, but most of my use is in thicker cover where I can only see 100-200 yards max. My favorite part is that being a smaller, more compact bino, I can freehand them with one hand while holding my bow and have no problem with a shaky image. I highly recommend them.

Also, I’m running them in a Marsupial Gear bino harness and couldn’t be happier.

7/15/20 @ 2:29 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Leupold 10x42 Gold Ring

7/15/20 @ 12:21 PM
jlkohl
User since 6/9/02

Bought the Leupold McKenzie 10x50's two years ago. For 50's they're pretty light and love the larger ocular (wear glasses). Great light gathering at dusk/dawn. Well within your budget.

7/15/20 @ 9:13 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

I bought a vortex monocular two years ago for bowhunting, fits in my pocket and only weighs a couple ounces. I never used or liked to carry my good nikon 10x42 binoculars because 1) I never used them since I hunt thick areas. 2) extra weight and space. Basically all I use the monocular for is if I see a buck out of range to get a better look at the antler size.

7/15/20 @ 6:52 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Bought a pair of Cabelas brand binoculars about 3-4 years ago.10 power with coated glass, cost about $200, love em!

7/14/20 @ 6:17 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Vortex

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE