Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Winnebago

6/10/20 @ 4:59 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hook, line&sinker
USER SINCE 4/18/07

I don't troll. Fish mostly with jigs.  Last 4 years the walleye population is not the same as it used to be.  I wonder if this lake is dying.  Except for the pros I don't see the success we used to have.  Have noticed some of those on TV are fishing Winnebago much anymore.  Have a great day everyone.  

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 92 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

7/14/21 @ 2:36 PM
Jumbee
USER SINCE 8/20/12

If you are using a motor, you are trolling.

Drifting with wind or current, rowing or paddling without the use of powered motors is not trolling.

It is just my preference to jig or drift holding a rod in my hand and feeling the bite. If you need a tattle flag to tell you when to wind in that is legal but it is not my thing. Any of you are entitled to employ any legal methods you wish.

7/14/21 @ 10:50 AM
Paranoid Percher
USER SINCE 8/19/18

Trolling what does that do I pull bouncers with bow mount is this trolling or position fishing I think limit should be 5 and fish it out just like Green Bay  will be.Tournaments do nothing to the system they dont keep dinks

7/14/21 @ 10:02 AM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

I hate trolling!!            Lake Michigan salmon dragging them in with 50# test line with a hunk of steel or plastic in front of them,  all the while the boat is moving forward.   I asked one charter captain if I could hire him to drift fish with live bait or jig for them.     He flat out said no,his job was to catch fish.    I told him I didn’t care if I caught any and he still said no.    I like salmon so I troll.      Lake Erie:  same deal, I won’t troll. If we can’t drift I won’t hire him.     Bago:   Again , same deal, I like to jig or slip bobber while anchored.   Fishing to me is not worrying about a bag limit.      But to each his own.     CARPIO 

7/14/21 @ 9:47 AM
Jumbee
USER SINCE 8/20/12

Paranoid - I would never say never.  If in 3 more years the fishing has not improved or gotten worse, what will (should) be done? Personally I would be in favor of other things before a "no motor trolling" regulation was on the table; min size, slot and closed season being 3 things. 

Curious what others think:  What is the % of walleye fisherman on Bago that all they do is troll? In other words, a no motor trolling regulation would affect how many/what %? 

*FTR I am not a troller per se. I have done it and I can do it but it's not my preferred method of fishing. I probably troll 3-4 times per year.

7/14/21 @ 8:51 AM
Paranoid Percher
USER SINCE 8/19/18

The no trolling will never happen they just made it legal to troll every where in Wisconsin and so guys running charters on Bago and the Bay are the same as Lake Mi and Sup. or why would they be different.

7/13/21 @ 3:04 PM
samfox
USER SINCE 3/17/09

The position I was referring to is Adam Nickels boss, the senior fish biologist position in the Oshkosh office. Kendall Kamke is retired. As far as I know Ryan Koenigs is still on administrative leave. 

7/13/21 @ 2:54 PM
Jumbee
USER SINCE 8/20/12

Any change in the regulations is going to be met with a minimum of some grumbling. If the fishing is limited in some way the surrounding businesses will feel it. If fishing really tails off those businesses will feel it anyway. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The only changes to regulations mentioned here that would be heavily opposed is a closed season.  Who is going to show up and complain about not being able to keep 12" fish? You don't fish Bago for a trophy so a slot isn't that big of a deal IMHO.  Less rods/lines is also no big deal.

For the sake of argument I'll suggest no motor trolling as a future consideration should things not improve in the next 3 years.

7/13/21 @ 2:03 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

I could see going to 2 rods statewide... tackle mfgs and retailers might howl, but they manage to do pretty good in MN with a 1 rod regulation...

...with a lake michigan/superior charter exception

7/13/21 @ 12:37 PM
Gillripper
USER SINCE 6/21/01

The walleye biologist is Adam Nickle. The sturgeon biologist position is open. They are not currently seeking to fill it. Again, You all need to educate yourself before you comment.

7/8/21 @ 9:16 PM
samfox
USER SINCE 3/17/09

Smoke fish,  the position is vacant

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 92 POSTS
Advertise here
Brand new for 2021, these technique-specific bass rods now feature advanced SCIII+ carbon blank and St. Croix's proprietary IPC®, FRS, TET technology for stunning performance at an unbelievable value. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Victory Spinning Rods
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.