SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Winnebago

6/10/20 @ 4:59 PM
INITIAL POST
hook, line&sinker
User since 4/18/07

I don't troll. Fish mostly with jigs.  Last 4 years the walleye population is not the same as it used to be.  I wonder if this lake is dying.  Except for the pros I don't see the success we used to have.  Have noticed some of those on TV are fishing Winnebago much anymore.  Have a great day everyone.  

Displaying 21 to 30 of 92 posts
7/16/21 @ 8:19 PM
JimiJigs
JimiJigs
PRO MEMBER User since 1/15/20

Gobbler is right, how can you evaluate the effectiveness of the lower bag limit without giving it at least a few more years? And how can you call a 40% reduction in the daily limit "a small step"?  As far as a 15" minimum size limit, that was tried on the Winnebago system once before, it was removed because it was ineffective. 

7/16/21 @ 8:52 AM
Jumbee
User since 8/20/12
The key word on Mille Lacs is "desperately." Let's take some small steps so that we don't need desperate measures in the future.  A daily bag of 5 to 3 is one small step. The next logical small step IMO would be a min size limit.  Those 10" - 13" fish today are likely 15+" next spring.  If necessary after a min size I'd look at a slot. 

Curious to get reports on population heading into year 3 of the 3 fish daily bag and what impact or not that may be having.

If the DNR needs more funding start fining more people and fine them more. Heck, I'd go to a DNR auction to bid on a boat upgrade if they confiscated one.  Make the fines hurt, they are a deterrent as much as anything.  You might not get caught but if you do are you willing to risk your boat and gear?

7/16/21 @ 6:17 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

A slot would be a start.   You can Keep 3 eyes 14-18”, 18-24” go back and one over 24”.   It has worked very good on the Fox Chain in Illinois.   The walleye fishery is very strong and you catch a lot of eyes, when they cooperate.   Just my two cents.

7/15/21 @ 6:31 PM
troutmaskreplica
troutmaskreplica
User since 5/14/20

H&H, over the last several years......more times than I can remember.....25-35.....if I get a human (rare), the response is 'We'll see if we can get an officer to look into it..... Thanks for your concern.' After a while it just got tiresome and now with the lack of funding for WI DNR.....my time is better spent continuing to fish and comment to the offenders, when I think it's appropriate...i.e. the offenders aren't 6ft 6, weighing 300lbs.....I'm older and not a real big dude.....I pick my battles carefully these days.

7/15/21 @ 5:58 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

troutmaskreplica How many times have you called dnr hotline?

7/15/21 @ 5:32 PM
troutmaskreplica
troutmaskreplica
User since 5/14/20

...back to the Winnebago chain, specifically....the last few times I've fished Winnebago, Butte des Morts, Poygan, and the Wolf in between, I've been able to find decent walleye. Usually all cpr, but once in a while a walleye/crappie dinner. The big problem seems to be that I see way more 'violators' each time and fewer 'law abiding citizen' fishermen, no matter where I look. I've been fishing Winnebago and that chain since the mid '60's....most peoples' respect for the water and the fishery has gone down the $hitter.....and don't even start with boating etiquette these days...... :~(.........I think I need a drink now..... :~/

7/15/21 @ 4:18 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

oh, I agree... DNR enforcement has always been treated like crap... they could triple the force and still come up short, and they could pass some laws with some teeth... taking away privileges from a lifetime violator has to make the violator laugh

....I'm not a law maker, but I'm sure they could come up with some that may discourage the less criminal violators, and put some career violators out of business

7/15/21 @ 3:50 PM
troutmaskreplica
troutmaskreplica
User since 5/14/20

nihsif, don't disagree, but regular enforcement of the existing regs is also key. Every lake I have fished in MN over the last 3 years has been well patrolled by waterborne and launch site DNR......WI lakes....uhhh, not so much....at all....

7/15/21 @ 2:44 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

yeah, MN has had to do some big measures in certain lakes... I believe they shut down fishing on Red lake for a year or more, but that, I believe was due to Indians over-harvesting with nets, at least that's what I recall

slots are not the cure all for every situation, I think Winnebago is in good hands with the current walleye team keeping  tabs on all kinds of walleye measures... 

...not catching fish could just mean there's and abundance of bait fish, or a couple poor recruitment years, or weather related, etc...

...but it's good to report information to the team that may help them with their management, I'm sure they factor in that stuff along with their other data

...and the really good new is that it is a renewable resource that is being watched pretty closely

7/15/21 @ 1:01 PM
troutmaskreplica
troutmaskreplica
User since 5/14/20

Jumbee, Mille Lacs is trying very desperately to preserve their current and future walleye fishery. I applaud their efforts and agree with their new regs. Many other walleye fisheries, including the Winnebago chain, had better get with the program - if there are going to continue to be walleyes to be caught.

Displaying 21 to 30 of 92 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE