Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Winnebago

6/10/20 @ 4:59 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hook, line&sinker
USER SINCE 4/18/07

I don't troll. Fish mostly with jigs.  Last 4 years the walleye population is not the same as it used to be.  I wonder if this lake is dying.  Except for the pros I don't see the success we used to have.  Have noticed some of those on TV are fishing Winnebago much anymore.  Have a great day everyone.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 27 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

TODAY @ 12:54 PM
Fish Hound
USER SINCE 1/29/02

Lake Erie has a 15" size limit, 6 Walleyes per day year round, and zero possession limit. They are over populated with Walleye and want as many as possible taken out.

TODAY @ 10:08 AM
Paranoid Percher
USER SINCE 8/19/18

anybody know about rubber ducks with numbers on bottom found 2 yesterday

TODAY @ 9:43 AM
Jumbee
USER SINCE 8/20/12

This past week has probably lessened the complaining about the system.  Like every year some days are good, some are not.  Last week more days were good than bad. Sat was absolutely on fire. I have reports of guys catching as many eyes on Sat and finally finding fish in the 18"-22" range.

I'll leave with this. The best walleye fisheries I know of are Erie and LOTW.   Both have tighter restrictions on size or slots than Bago.

6/16/21 @ 10:07 AM
Fish Hound
USER SINCE 1/29/02

Why is any tournement an issue whether it be 10, 50, 100, or even more boats when there are thousands of non-tournement boats on the water at the same.

Many are CPR now (with a size limit) and those that are not are penalize for dead fish and some clean/donate the dead to food pantries. 

While the other boats catch and kill anything and any size they choose.... but its the tournements fault? 

Please think about that and share your logic how tournements messed up this lake.

6/16/21 @ 9:52 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

add a little science to the discussion... here's a link to the trawling reports 

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Fishing/reports#winnebago

...and Winnebago walleye management plan

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/documents/outreach/WinnebagoWalleyeManagementPlan2018.pdf???

6/16/21 @ 9:44 AM
whatsnew1978
USER SINCE 1/24/14

JAK, I agree that the tournaments need to be adjusted. I'd say go with a state wide law that all tournaments need to use Catch Record Release. or maybe any tournament that has over 25 participants or something. 

6/16/21 @ 9:04 AM
netmaster
MEMBER SINCE 10/22/01

I have seen a lot of people keeping small ones if not hooked deep let them grow . remember if a pro can do it so can you.  

6/15/21 @ 3:46 PM
duckdog
MEMBER SINCE 1/24/02

Don’t forget Walleye weekend. How many eyes have they killed.

6/15/21 @ 2:54 PM
JAK79KEL
USER SINCE 5/24/06

I think along with consistent pressure evey day with folks filling freezers with much more than legally allowed, we need to limit the pressure from these mega tournaments like B.O.B.  I know my post will get censored and removed, but these events slaughter the population, cause lots of pollution on the lake, and inflict so much damage to the lake. Remember all the pictures of coolers full of whitebass and limit after limit of eyes the guides would post for years?? Another area of discussion that needs to be addressed imo.   Such exploitation of a great resource.  It can only take so much!!

6/15/21 @ 10:58 AM
Thump55
USER SINCE 7/19/04

Just for comparison, The AIM tournament on Petenwell one week ago (where there is a 5 fish, 15" minimum and a 20-28" no harvest slot limit) had winning weight of 61 pounds and 10th place was still over 36 lbs.

We catch soooo many 20+ inch walleye out there it's crazy. 

Winnebago would be EPIC with the same slot limit. EPIC.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 27 POSTS
Advertise here
Lithium Ion batteries provide a consistent speed and torque from fillet to fillet, without reduced power or slow down as battery power wanes. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: RAPALA - Rapala R12 Fillet Knife Kit
Brand new for 2021, these technique-specific bass rods now feature advanced SCIII+ carbon blank and St. Croix's proprietary IPC®, FRS, TET technology for stunning performance at an unbelievable value. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Victory Spinning Rods
Only Talon has up to 15' of anchoring, letting you pick the perfect hold for any condition. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.