MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Why is it that there are so few actual fishing reports on Lake link

4/4/21 @ 1:26 AM
INITIAL POST
bottom bouncer
bottom bouncer
User since 9/3/02

I went to Oconto today.  We didn't catch any small fish.  Maybe 15 total but 5 were over 28".  And other boats around us were also catching fish.  One boat landed a 34" brown trout.  Not a single report.  I do plan to post a report on that thread, but let's hear your thoughts on whats the problem with reporting.  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 128 posts
5/23/21 @ 1:46 AM
bottom bouncer
bottom bouncer
User since 9/3/02

Saw from a fellow poster that Pine Lake had a tournament today?   Not one post.

5/8/21 @ 6:52 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

anybody back in the day that was around Castle Rock lake will tell you urban sprawl has ruined everything....why would you want to move from the city to the city.....we won't even drive around the lake anymore...we want to puke...but it is funny in a way how they list the properties....dig a hole.....lake front LMAO...with that comes the "save the fish for our kids" group....but go out with your friends with your pontoon and sit at the cesspool Island and party....in the summer it stinks so bad of piss we have to go around it by far.....well, they are having fun.....but dammit....we have to lower the limit

5/8/21 @ 6:25 PM
bassball
User since 7/25/07

I have been out with that guide and he was fun to be in the boat with and worked extra hard to put my sons on fish. The constant complaints about guides on this site is what drives them away.  They give general accurate information which is all that you should expect.  Soon none will post and there will be complaints about that. 

5/8/21 @ 5:23 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

I happen to know the guide who posted the pictures in question and yes it is in vilas County and subject to the one over 14inches and two under those are good eating sized fish anyway and if you want to have a fish fry that's what you get! People making rude comments etc is why he doesn't post as much anymore mostly all jealousy imop

5/8/21 @ 3:36 PM
dcsnick1
User since 4/8/08

I tried to report every time I go out whether I catch fish or not. If I catch fish I pretty much told people I caught them. Or the general area. Everybody fishes the lake and fish so it’s not any news where i catch stuff.

5/8/21 @ 11:32 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

lakeshiner  .... that's really pretty mild, some users get nasty... even tho LL asks people to follow their rules of conduct

this being one of them

NO HARASSING OR CHASTISING ANOTHER ANGLER FOR KEEPING HIS LEGAL LIMIT OF FISH
Any user that harasses or chastises another angler for keeping his legal limit of fish will be removed. Lake-Link encourages Catch and Release however there are daily bag limits set in place by the DNR. Harassing others on Lake-Link does nothing but cause arguments and fighting. If you wish to change the bag limit laws contact your local DNR official.

5/8/21 @ 9:24 AM
XenoRev
User since 4/19/21

IMHO, Because people aren't posting?

5/7/21 @ 1:44 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Here's proof of one of the problems from today.  This comment was made in regards to a guide's pictures.  They were likely fishing a northern WI lake where its 1 over 14" for walleyes and 2 under.  The fish weren't even that bad in all honesty, probably what most people consider good eaters.  Still got a stupid comment though.

Why is it that there are so few actual fishing reports on Lake link photo by lakeshiner
5/7/21 @ 7:30 AM
Geneva Kid
Geneva Kid
PRO MEMBER User since 1/1/06

People like to complain here like on other fishing & hunting sites with jealously the big reason in my opinion. I don't post like I once did due to people complaining for no apparant reason. These guys most likely cannot catch fish so they want your spots that took decades to find or tell you you're raping the harvest when you catch fish. The guys who are so intense about holding a musky properly is one of the biggest laughs on lake link. All experts in holding a fish properly! These guys are more worried about holding a fish the proper way than they are telling the guy congrats! 

Recently a couple guys were complaining about someone keeping fish with those two guys having a total of 2 & 4 posts on LL. What does that tell you? They didn't want to use their regular handle account and created the new one to complain. Frustrated fisherman I say! I use LL to communicate to fisherman, not complainers. If the complainers don't like my posts, oh well, too bad. Lake Link needs to band these guys for good but they won't. It's about $$$ and I cannot blame them in a way. It would be nice to have a site without all the BS but that will never happen. Cry babies will always be cry babies until they grow up with some of them never growing up. 

5/6/21 @ 9:43 PM
brosto
User since 1/10/17

My primary use of LL is for ice thickness reports. As I appreciate the information people share about conditions I will always post when ice fishing to return the favor. Unfortunately I have been chastised by other users when sharing info about great days on the ice. 

Not sure why but for open water fishing I rarely post. Maybe because I haven’t done well so think nobody wants to hear that.  

So thinking about it, I’ll try to post every outing this year and see what the response is. 

Thanks for listening. 

5/6/21 @ 6:39 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01

Great post Chris.

The lectures from keeping a fish is the downer. Keep a Bass and it could be 3 pages of people telling you should be releasing or the damage you just did to the lake.

That can chase people away. 

It got alot more pronounced when digital cameras came along.

5/6/21 @ 12:15 AM
Skippppy
User since 5/5/21

I joined lake-link early on. Got booted off after a heated discussion and was let back on with another name few years later. I just resigned up after realizing I deleted email address  associated with account and couldn’t reset password. 

Anyway after a few decades of  posting lurking and such.... it is refreshing this is still a lively subject. 

In the early days it was a smaller community just WI IL & MN. They called it the lake-link effect. Someone posted a kind let report that the bite was on at Lake X, look for the crooked tree by small island. 

Next weekend the launch was parked up, and you could walk around the island on the boats stacked on each other. 

People posted fake reports to test the theory and send people away from their hot spots. 

Same stuff happened the week after John Gillespie nails Walleyes on the Fox River. Boats are stacked like firewood

People were hesitant to share great news on their home lakes. I always traveled to spots at left great reviews of what worked. I would not be back anytime soon so I had no skin in the game. I got flamed for it a few times by locals to keep it quiet 

anyway... looks like things don’t change much. 

5/5/21 @ 10:42 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

What I've found is even if you report real accurate information and people don't catch fish they're mad and your a liar, they bring all their friends and crowd you out, or are pissed you reported in the first place. So your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't I'll still report once in awhile but don't name the lake just depth and baits etc. It's a shame that you can't trust your fellow fisherman unless they're trusted friends already. Even this guy won't tell you where he was fishing lol??

Why is it that there are so few actual fishing reports on Lake link photo by Fv.screaming drags.com
5/5/21 @ 12:13 PM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18

I had so many bad experiences from "seagulls" back when I posted as --- that no,not a chance will I post fishing reports any longer...I started to write a couple examples of seagulls/stalkers but I think it's best not to reminisce about it. I could already feel my bloodpressure rise....Twice someone threatened to damage my rig in the parking lot and since I did a lot of late night fishing,it was a real worry. One of those was a guy I'd helped in numerous PMs but somehow thought he had a God-given right to every piece of knowledge I'd gotten over the years. He felt I was holding out on him.... Icefishing? pfft. Worst.

I used to love being helpful. I posted a ton of fishing report,enjoyed helping via PM... A minority of LL'ers not only ended that,they helped take the fun out of fishing locally...I've developed a twitch: Whenever I catch a walleye I reflexively look over my shoulder to make sure nobody saw.

Most of my yearly fishing hours nowadays are in the Everglades and the Keys....Or the upper Mississippi or Vilas county lakes....and "harvest" is not nearly as important to me as it was 10-20 years ago. I just prefer to (mostly) C&R fish without having to smell someone's cigaret smoke or listen to their drunken chatter. Someone shows up and fishes up my (back pocket)? I typically just leave.

But no way in heck am I gonna advertise where I fish. I learned my lesson over and over and over again. Eventually I figured out...

I have met a number of fishermen who's self esteem is directly tied to how many fish they can kill - or at least take and post pictures of. It's clearly not tied to their ethics and morals...I ain't helping them one iota if I can help it.

5/5/21 @ 8:36 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Holy crap Carp King, I haven't seen you post in forever! I didn't even know you existed anymore!  You've been around for as long as I have on this site.  It's too bad some have to ruin it for all!  I always enjoyed reading your fishing reports and seeing the pictures you would post.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 128 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE