LOGIN
Lake-Link

Where to catch a Whitefish?

1/23/18 @ 10:05 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm on a quest to catch 50 different species of fish while filming in my home state of Wisconsin, and recently, I've seen pictures of ice fishermen with tons of Whitefish in the Green Bay area.  Are they easy to catch? What bait/lures are best for catching them? Are they further south at all (Port Washington, Milwaukee...) Where can I catch one, or is Green Bay my best bet (I only need one)  All I have for equipment is a 6 inch hand auger, one tip-up, and a couple ice fishing rods? Is the window for whitefish through the ice closing?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/11/18 @ 8:30 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks everyone for your help!  I caught one today!  Your advice and tips really helped.  Here's the video I made of my experience.

2/7/18 @ 11:59 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I honestly caught these on my regular panfish rods with small jigs and waxies.  I did it before this all took off like it is today.  I was actually trying to catch walleyes and saw fish swimming past the hole in about 10' of water before dark.  Switched to my panfish rod and caught 2 pretty quick on 2lb test with a tear drop jig.  I didn't know exactly what they were but figured whitefish.  A few years later people were fishing them like crazy.  I know what I used is not the go-to way of doing it, but if a guy wasn't going to do it a lot and didn't want to buy new stuff, you can get a few with your panfish stuff.

2/6/18 @ 10:30 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

How long a walk from shore at Volks Launch in Green Bay to the reef where these whitefish might be hanging out.  I'm thinking of going up on Sunday, but I don't have a truck to drive onto the ice.  Also, anyone care to join me.  I have the bare basics for ice fishing gear (hand auger, two rods), but I'm willing to go at it alone if need be.  I'm a man on a mission!

1/29/18 @ 5:58 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks hockeyguy39 - I love YouTube for tips.  I'll check some out for how to properly jig for Whitefish.

1/28/18 @ 8:38 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I suggest watching some you tube videos to get the jigging technique down. It is different than just simple jigging.

1/27/18 @ 11:27 AM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks for the tips!  I got a direct message, too from a nice person on Lake Link.  This will definitely help me.  If there's a high probability of me catching one, I might take my youngest up there with me.  That would make the 2 plus hour drive a little more worth it.  

1/27/18 @ 5:56 AM
Casper22
User since 8/14/12

Tiefsa,

Volk's Launch, Green Bay, east shore.  Plenty of these bad boys to be caught.  Google search a Whitefish slider rig.  Use medium to medium light ~30 inch ice rod.  Braided line will help you "feel" the bites.  It takes some finesse, but almost a guarantee to get one your first time out.  Go braided line to a 3ft piece of 6lb fluorocarbon leader.  Thread a red single octopus hook onto the line, tie a barrel swivel, then add another 1ft section of 6lbs fluorocarbon and tie to a "fast snap" for quick change applications.  Check the Volk's fishing thread for what the hot depths and baits are.  I hope this will aid in your quest. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.