Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

What happened to VHS?

12/8/21 @ 11:03 PM
ORIGINAL POST
madcelt
USER SINCE 3/13/02

Has there been any recent major outbreaks in our waterways or is it a thing of the past?  Just haven’t heard about it in awhile

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 21 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

1/5/22 @ 10:50 AM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

Nice looking though, I’d have it mounted. CARPIO 

1/5/22 @ 8:18 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

Speaking of fish disease, got this walleye-pike last week.  

Joking of course, but it sure was a weird pike.  Even has white tips on the back fins.  When it flashed the hole I assumed it was a walleye.

Not the normal black dot parasite, this was splotches and I could feel it on top the scales.  Felt like I was holding coarse sand paper.  Almost like some kind of fungus. 

1/4/22 @ 9:07 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER SINCE 2/16/04

What happened with BKD? It never went "viral" but for a while in the late 80's it was big news to Lake fishermen. Bacterial Kidney Disease reared its ugly head because of a  forage crash (not enough alewives and smelt in the system) that stressed the king salmon population and caused big fish to wash up dead on the shores of Lake Michigan. I guess not having enough to eat can be bad for your health. The DNR cut back on commercial harvest of small fish and screened the fish for BKD before using the eggs in the hatcheries for the next year's smolts for planting. Imagine that experts now have identified a horrible virus that attacks stressed and weaker populations thru the simple act of being in proximity of others. They bleed from their gills into the water.  The infected move about infecting others at an alarming rate with deadly results...... Sound familiar? Would denying the problem make Viral Hemoragic Septicemia go away?  

12/13/21 @ 3:28 PM
JC-Wisconsin
USER SINCE 4/1/05

"Pure speculation JC. No proof whatsoever. "

Correct, no proof.  Just my opinion based on my experience with WDNR over the past 25 years.  The amount of money that has been raised for the likes of CWD, VHS, invasive species, etc. is incredible with very little to show for it except more government jobs, more regulations that don't work, and a continuation of power grabs by government.

"However, DNR fisheries people  (generally speaking) do a darn good job. I know a couple of the biologists who happen to be very dedicated and are in no way influenced by dollars or power."

I know several fisheries biologists, and "most" of them are very fine people doing their best.  However, it is the upper ranks of DNR that "rank."  The fisheries biologists are not the ones to blame for $8/dozen minnows.  Just like most biologists aren't to blame for CWD rules that don't work, or for the insults of not controlling the wolf population and the decimation of the deer herd.  

"Unsubstantiated crap like you're spewing is an insult to the many professionals out there doing great work."

It wasn't meant to be a rebuke of all of WDNR.  However, my opinion stands.

12/13/21 @ 11:37 AM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

Lol.   Big Brother on a water ski.  CARPIO 

12/13/21 @ 10:01 AM
madforlabs
USER SINCE 12/20/12

Pure speculation JC. No proof whatsoever. 

I realize you have many issues with DNR deer mgt.  Don't disagree with many of your concerns. However, DNR fisheries people  (generally speaking) do a darn good job. I know a couple of the biologists who happen to be very dedicated and are in no way influenced by dollars or power.

Unsubstantiated crap like you're spewing is an insult to the many professionals out there doing great work.

12/13/21 @ 9:48 AM
JC-Wisconsin
USER SINCE 4/1/05

"JC, And what might that DNR "agenda" be with regard to VHS?"

1) Money - every doomsday scenario DNR comes up with gets greatly tied to research dollars and ensures employment by many.  See VHS, CWD, invasive species, etc.

2) Control - WDNR has had a history of wanting more control, from bait bans, licensing bait dealers, empowering wardens with power greater than police, etc.

12/11/21 @ 3:08 PM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

Mad     I won’t argue but Google VHS DISEASE IN GREEN BAY.   There are other links also if you spend the time looking.   Maybe contact the biologist in that district to clarify.    CARPIO 

12/11/21 @ 1:15 PM
madcelt
USER SINCE 3/13/02

Carpio, I saw a few news briefs about that virus in Sturgeon Bay too but it wasn’t VHS that was detected.  Largemouth Bass Disease (never heard of that) is not VHS.  

12/10/21 @ 1:45 PM
madforlabs
USER SINCE 12/20/12

JC, 

And what might that DNR "agenda" be with regard to VHS?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 21 POSTS
Advertise here
An ice rod built as tough as the frozen winter landscape of the ice belt. A new platform for St. Croix, the Tundra series is a culmination of ice centric features demanded by hardwater anglers. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Tundra Ice Rods
Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos feature a Ceymar micro baitfeeder, a full grip non-reel seat handle for customized placement, and a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.