SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Vexilar compatibilty

12/10/19 @ 10:24 PM
INITIAL POST
L84FISHIN
User since 1/17/09

Just wondering if anyone knows if the vexilar fl28 and the vexilar fl20 can be used at the same time without excessive interference. Tried using the fl 20 and my son an older  fl8 and the fl8 did not work due to interference from the more modern fl 20. Looking to surprise my son with the 28 if these are compatible since we primarily fish together. Thanks for any info.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
12/15/19 @ 6:02 PM
CedarFalls
User since 12/15/19

My fishing partner has the fl28 and I have the fl20.  If we are relatively close, I get lots of interference.  He usually has to work his interference settings to help clear mine up, but it doesn't always work.  Some times it's very frustrating to fish together.  Bottom structure plays a significant role also in how much interference I receive.

12/15/19 @ 8:04 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

I have fl 18 vex.  Great device.  You have interference button on vex.  You should be able to clear the picture of interference.  Just do one at a time.

I rigged my humminbird from the boat for ice fishing.  I kept forgetting my vexilar at home when I would go up north to cabin.  So humminbird is kept there.

The nice thing is my 788 hb has mapping.   I can return to open water hot spots saved on hb.   At first I tried using transom transducer for ice fishing and it was almost impossible to pick up jigs on screen.  I switched to a ice ducer and it made all the difference.  I can pick up 64th oz jig 30 feet deep, and watch fish come to my lure.  I switched screen to the flasher screen because that's most familiar to me for ice fishing.  I also like the change in colors on the flasher screen as the fish gets closer to the jig.

Have fun.  Shellfish

12/15/19 @ 7:56 AM
MRCUB14
MRCUB14
PRO MEMBER User since 11/22/18

you will always have interference with the vexs something for whatever reason they haven't figured out. Marcum or hummingbird 

12/14/19 @ 8:26 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

Vexilar may not have gps but the dependability is 2nd to none.

12/14/19 @ 7:14 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

I've fished Marcum units for years. Bought a FLX28 last year. Never going back. Awesome product.

12/14/19 @ 7:05 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Those units should work side by side. I can fish my marcum lx7 next to my fl8 without any problems. If your going to get him something new I would go with the marcum lx7. Much better unit with way options for close in price. My buddy had a fl28 we put it right next to my lx7 and tested the leg difference. The fl28 was off a decent amount compared to the lx7. We fished the next day a he pulls out a brand new lx7 lol.

12/14/19 @ 6:22 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Does vexilar have anything GPS?? Hard to justify price without it?

12/14/19 @ 11:40 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I'm with Mr. Hound on this one. My fishing buddy just got a "flasher" and loves it. Now I hear a constant buzzing sound where before there was complete silence. That spinning thing inside it must really burn down the battery. I've been using my boat graph with the GPS for years now. Works great and only makes noise if I want it to. His Vex seemed pricey to me too. Shouldn't complain; now we can both see fish in the area and be ready.

12/11/19 @ 10:39 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Fish hound, what are you talking about? Vexilar makes a good product. Remember, your stationary putting your transducer into a 8" hole so what would a helix give that the vex wouldnt?

12/11/19 @ 2:33 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Or better yet catch up with technology and get him a Humminbird or other actual graph, flashers are dinosaurs. 

12/11/19 @ 3:02 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

You should get them to work side by side. Both have IR settings. Get them both running and cycle through the IR setting on one and only one of the units. Don’t start getting punch with both of them at the same time. Clear one up first, and then if you have to clear the other one up. 

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE