MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Use Whitefish or Cisco for Cutbait?

11/17/19 @ 1:42 PM
INITIAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I was told cutbait (whitefish or cisco) was good for burbot. Anyone know where I can find some?  I tried to catch some burbot this weekend and failed

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
11/22/19 @ 9:46 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Once the ice comes, you can get out on Green Bay and use as fresh a chunk of cut bait as you'll ever see, provided you get a whitey lol. Shouldn't be too difficult most days. Green Bay seemingly has a decent population of burbot, but how to target them I wouldn't know other than to fish reefs. Would imagine you could set some tip ups with it. It is delicious, though. I really need to make an effort to get some this year. 

11/21/19 @ 5:12 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks for the tips, nihsif.  I could probably catch a sucker or two to use as cut bait.  Also that was a great article in the JS about burbot!

11/18/19 @ 10:10 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

thanks for your videos, enteretaining... fish or no fish

I've caught a few thru the ice on Big Green and on the Wisconsin river in the spring... minnows in both case

sucker meat would be a good choice for cut bait too, and a little easier to come by

here's an article by Paul Smith of the MJS that you may or may not have seen, so throwing it out here 2019/01/11/smith-burbot-native-great-lakes-fish-worthy-respect

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE