Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Trying to learn to fish for LMB.

6/21/18 @ 3:08 PM
ORIGNAL POST
dlpittenger
MEMBER since 10/28/05

Hi all, a rookie here. I've tried to catch bass on a couple lakes, bought lots of lures, watched some videos, etc. trying to learn on my own. Not much luck at all. I have a lot to learn, so not complaining, just need to put in more time, learn some good habits, and get rid of some bad ones I think.

However, I have one problem: I get lots of snags especially with crankbaits. Worm is almost snag free, and spinnerbaits seem to be less prone, but with crankbaits I spend half my time trying to get them through weeds, getting them caught on brush underwater, etc. Lost a lot of lures and been frustrated a lot using crankbaits, (especially rattletraps... ugh).?

Any general advice on using crankbaits, rattletraps, etc. to stay away from snagging and losing them? Or... retrieving them successfully after getting seriously snagged?

Also... if someone wants a retired guy to go fishing with them in SE Wisconsin sometime, and can put up with just a few questions, (promise I won't barrage you all day), I'd like to join you. I have a nice pontoon boat, but if you've got a better boat for fishing that would be great. 

Thanks,
Dan

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/19/18 @ 8:31 AM
dlpittenger
MEMBER since 10/28/05

BugleTrout,

So I guess I'm not the only one who gets the crankbaits caught in the weeds. I'll use other baits there as you suggest.

Thanks!

Dan

7/19/18 @ 8:24 AM
dlpittenger
MEMBER since 10/28/05

river_chaser,

Nightcrawler on a bobber? I'll have to try that as a break from cranking. :)

Thanks!

Dan

7/19/18 @ 8:22 AM
dlpittenger
MEMBER since 10/28/05

Everyone,

Sorry I got away from the site for a few days and missed some messages here! Thanks for all the advice and offers to fish. I will take some of you up on it when I can! 

Dan

6/25/18 @ 9:05 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Like someone already mentioned. Get some floating crankbaits that dive when you reel them in. They should dive 1-3 feet and you control the dive by reeling slower, sometimes very slow if its weedy.  I like green or brown natural looking lures.  Bass love nitecrawlers on a bobber too.

6/25/18 @ 5:55 PM
RaceChap
MEMBER since 7/2/09

I'd highly recommend hiring a guide for a day just to learn how to fish what baits and when. Every time that I fish for a new species I hire a guide to teach me what to look for, what to use, and how to do it. From my experience, I've always had better luck top water fishing for largemouth, and smallmouth for that matter. There's nothing like having a big bass explode on a popper or Jitterbug. I prefer fishing with a fly rod as it allows me pinpoint cast into weeds and stumps. I use a float tube and find that I can sneak up on them. Still, I can fish from a boat. I've had a ton of luck in Canada fly fishing for bass from a boat.  I'm retired and can fish most any day of the week. I'd be happy to join you on a lake somewhere.

6/22/18 @ 10:13 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Get some 30 lb test braided line like Power Pro.  I believe that stuff has the equivalent diameter to 8 lb test mono.  Tie on a 8-10 lb fluorocarbon leader.

As for baits, pitching cranks in shallows and heavy weed cover is going to result in a lot of lost baits.  Use shallower-running baits like swim baits, jerk baits and stick baits (husky jerks or F-ll floating Raps).  Wacky worming is another fun technique for bass.  I pitch hairpin spinnerbaits the majority of the time that I fish for bass.  Personal preference I guess.  They don't get hung up very often due to their upturned, single hook.

Good luck!

6/22/18 @ 9:49 AM
Snorkel
Snorkel
User since 7/30/16

Don't use deep diving crankbaits when there is weeds right below the surface, use ones that only dive max 12 inches.  The fish will come up to hit them if they are actively feeding.  Also study the bass patterns based on the time of year in relation to the spawn.  i.e. prespawn, spawn and postspawn.

After the spawn some bass will stay in the shallows and these fish are usually shorter and fatter, the rest will go out into deeper water and school.

The schooling ones are longer and thinner.

For those fish a jig with a 4 inch fluke on it works really well, in particular the baby bass color around mid summer. 

Also you likely won't find super shallow running crankbaits locally in stores, but you can order them online.

6/22/18 @ 12:25 AM
crankbait
crankbait
User since 6/20/01

So you're losing them to the catail & weed snags?  Not able to pull them out without breaking the line?  Sounds like you might just need heavier line. 

Want less snags you could take a set of treble hooks off of the lure.  Although if it's that weedy, you may just need to go with weedless plastics.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.