Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Trolling - Leadcore and Copper

8/5/16 @ 2:23 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Educator
User since 9/18/01
Afternoon Everyone.  Just looking for insight on trolling with lead core and copper with crawler harnesses.  I just got back from Green Bay, where I used leadcore and copper on boards.  Limited success on the eyes.  I was guessing all day with sink rates.  I've used both on Lake Michigan for Salmon, but I troll quite a bit faster (1.8 - 2.5).  I was trolling between .9 and 1.5 on the Bay.  I had the same issue with my crank baits.  Can you use cranks at .9 - 1.5mph?  I was never sure how deep they were going.  I'd like to head back to the bay, but I need to have a better idea on my sink rates first.  Here's a pic of slob Sheepshead that we caught.  Not the fish we were targeting, but it was a good fight.  Thanks!  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/11/16 @ 10:06 AM
Mark 1:17
User since 8/27/02

If you want to get down to 50ft or slightly deeper, the Offshore Tackle Magnum Tadpole seems like it would do the job. On the dive charts on Offhore Tackle website it shows that with 20# test mono it will go to 48ft with 150ft of line. I would sure think with 10-12# test it would go deeper than that.

8/11/16 @ 7:22 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

18 LB Leadcore will sink about 5' per color of line out.  If you are running say a 10' mono leader with a shad reap or spinnner in you case, and have 4 colors of leadcore out, your bait will sink about 20' at 1-3 MPH.  Keepo in mind that with leadcore the slower you go the more is sinks, that faster you go, the less it sinks.  I typically run leadcore at 1.5+ MPH.

8/5/16 @ 4:35 PM
nubbz07
User since 12/31/09

Im not sure about sink rates at those speeds but I would skip the lead and coppers altogether and use inline weights. a 1oz inline will go down 1 foot for every 2 feet let out. so 40 out is 20 down. very predictable and easy to use.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.