Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Transducer Dilemma

2/14/19 @ 11:59 AM
ORIGNAL POST
whispering eye
User since 12/31/18

I'm not new to ice fishing but I'm looking to buy my first transducer. Obviously Vexilar, Marcum, and Humminbird are all great products. What I'm really looking for is what features do I really want up front with this purchase so I'm not looking to buy another one 2,3,4 years down the road for that extra bell and whistle.

Thank you

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/15/19 @ 10:20 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

At home I use a vex 18. Most of the time.  Has worked great for years.  Spots the smallest jig at 30 feet.  Because of having way up north cabin and not wanted to drag all my stuff back and forth, Over the past few years I tried using my Canada portable that I made with older 700 series humminbird through the ice.   I used the  boat transom transducer.   When used on a rental Canada boat with suction cup holding the transducer, it always performed well, up to about 20 mph, marked fish well.   Using the transom transducer as ice fishlocator did not work well.  On the screen of unit I could not find small jigs in many occasions at most depths.   I bought an ice transducer for humminbird.  World of difference.   It now spots tiny jigs at any depth easily.  The 700 series locator also gives me gps mapping and screens that are flasher or regular.  I prefer the flasher screen.   I can also return to summer/ fall hotspots that I had previously marked.

I now worry that the transom transducer could be slightly defective or not as sensitive.

2/15/19 @ 8:37 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Hold the ducer about 2' above a concrete floor and check to see what the screen does to check the transducer. Here's a link to the vexilar website with exactly how to test it. Transducer test 

Personally, if I was buying something used that expensive I would ask to take it out and use it on the ice for a morning and make sure it works as expected, just to be safe. But I don't trust people

2/15/19 @ 6:38 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

good advice from vegas x2

2/14/19 @ 4:49 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Mine are only 2 years old.  Guys I fish with have Vexilars that go back 15-20 years.  If something goes "bad" on them, then send them to Vex to get fixed.  

I went the refurbished route from Vex as there was a nice warranty on those.  

Maybe email Vex and ask what to look for in a used flasher?

2/14/19 @ 4:18 PM
whispering eye
User since 12/31/18

Thanks for the help fellas/ladies. Much appreciated! I think I found an FL-18 for sale used. Anything in particular I should be looking at to make sure I'm not getting ripped off?

2/14/19 @ 3:27 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I'll "third" everything kvandehei originally posted.

I have Vexilars.  18 models.  Auto Zoom, low power...etc.

Totally the way to go.  I've had no issues with snow or viewing the screen.

I picked mine up on the Vexilar website...got them refurbished and with a warranty.  Seemed like a pretty good deal compared to new.  2 years on them, no issues. 

2/14/19 @ 3:09 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

A "good price" for the buyer, probably around $350.

A likely price, $375-425. Not that I look all the time but for some reason, I seem to see better deals on the FL20 used. They seem to typically be listed for around $450 for the most part but can often find them listed for $375-400. I know this only because I'm hoping to sell mine for closer to $450 next year lol.

2/14/19 @ 2:59 PM
whispering eye
User since 12/31/18

What would a good price for a used FL-18 be?

2/14/19 @ 2:26 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

If you decide on a used Vexilar, get one of the models with a flat screen rather than the recessed.  The recessed screens on the FL-8 and FL-18 models will catch a lot of snow/rain.  They do make a magnifying cover for them, but I had one and it distorted the image - you had to be looking straight at it to read it.

2/14/19 @ 1:51 PM
gray fox
gray fox
MEMBER since 2/22/08

I agree with Kvandehe, Their all good.  I had a Marcum LX9.  This had a camera and also sonar unit in one.  I recently sold it.  Was heavey and a little complicated to use. Also have the Humminbird 55.  Nice unit also, easy to use.  I bought the Vexilar FL18 , light to carry and easy to use.  I think one of the easiest, to dial in, and the screen is pretty good in sunlight.  My choice would be Vexilar, they last along time.  Had a FL8 it last forever.  Good Customer Service.

Good fishing

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.