SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Tipping a guide (fishing)

6/25/22 @ 5:57 PM
INITIAL POST
Mt Dew
User since 6/23/01

I have never used a guide. I was wondering if a guide is self employed do you tip him or is what he is charging you enough?

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
9/4/22 @ 11:41 PM
Carp King
User since 8/7/01

If you go on a guided trip in the great lakes a lot of times the partner of the boat owners, usually a high schooler basically works for tip money.

So remember that when you leave a tip.  The last time we went out we gave the high schooler a $100 tip on the side which was a whopping extra $20 for each of us.

6/30/22 @ 7:29 PM
fishen_soon
User since 6/24/14

I asked a guide on a different forum if a tip was customary if the guide was self employed or owned the business and they said yes. But I would do just like when eating out, if poor service, then 10%, good service, 20%. But it is up to you as you see fit.

Ches.

6/26/22 @ 9:44 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

booked a day with a guide that posts on LL... I believe his rates were appropriate as is... we did put together a nice tip because the day was so enjoyable from all aspects...

so, imo, it's something you may have to decide after the time on the water... I think most guides work really hard to get you fish, spending off time staying on the "bite"... that's one aspect of the experience... personality and more count as other aspects!

...hope you enjoy

6/25/22 @ 7:57 PM
1oldcanoe
1oldcanoe
User since 7/24/11

Tipping should be a minimum of 10%. 15%-20% if you learned a lot and he kept your rod bent.

6/25/22 @ 7:21 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

I think if anybody has any wonder about it, just ask the Guide before a contract is agreed upon. Then everyone is on the same page.(And I’m a Believer in Performance). Depending on how much you learn, and how much enjoyment you had, then I would consider it even with someone who doesn’t expect a tip.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE