MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

tip up time

1/25/22 @ 8:27 PM
INITIAL POST
aoknordicgod
aoknordicgod
User since 12/12/09

I was told by a bait shop owner the DNR can trip your tip up flag and you have 21 minutes to respond. Is this true? I have a hard time finding this on DNR website.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
1/31/22 @ 10:49 PM
G-MAN!
User since 1/23/22

I would argue the verbiage unattended.

You are right there fishing, regardless of time it takes to respond to your line.

What I can't doze off or be attending another line, maybe we are playing cribbage or listening to the game and bullshitting a bit,

Not like you left the tip ups unattended.

Just an opinion???

EASIN on DOWN!

1/26/22 @ 7:23 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05
Yes, it is the sole discretion of the warden and the circumstances at the time he checks you. Just like there is no part of a law that says all of your tipups have to be within X-number of feet/yards. As long as you respond to a tripped flag in a reasonable amount of time, you will be fine. 

Here is a helpful tip: A small round 'jingle' bell twist tied or zip-tied to the end of the flag stick will get your attention when you have a flag. They are cheap and any craft store or WalMart has them. I keep a ziploc bag of bells and a spool of bulk twist tie wire in my tipup bag so if I'm jigging in my portable shack, I can hear my flag go up. No batteries to die, lights getting left on, etc and they ALWAYS work, regardless of how cold it is. I usually put my tipups about 25-30 yards away from where I'm jigging and I never have problems hearing the bells when a flag goes up.
1/26/22 @ 6:05 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

I've seen this happen before on a small lake in Waukesha the warden yes was watching from his truck. So he comes out to check my license and then says which tip ups are yours so I point to mine he says ok. He then says who's 2 tip ups are those I say the guy on the other side of the just under 100 acres lake we are on. The warden then says he hasn't seen anybody tending to them so he trips both flags and the guy was actually jigging in his shack across the lake. This guy didn't react for about 20 minutes then he sees it and starts to walk 5- 10 minutes to the tip ups and the warden meets him and he got a ticket. To me the tip ups where really far apart but the warden was all about how long it took to react to the flag. 

1/25/22 @ 10:55 PM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

There is no specific time limit, the law isn't written to include one.  it's up to the discretion of the warden. I would be more worried about gut hooking and killing undersized fish because you didn't get to the flag expeditiously.  Buy some vulture systems sensors, and never miss a flag again. 

tip up time photo by jwog666
1/25/22 @ 8:51 PM
gater
User since 11/25/07

I think it is up to the warden, I believe you have closer to 5 minutes. There is a thread on the ice fishing board that discusses this topic. 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE