Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Theft and vandalizing

5/27/20 @ 12:33 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Bassturd68
User since 4/22/18

I would like to know why Wisconsin fisherman feel like its ok to vandalize peoples belongings and steal just because we are from out of state? Do you really think you own the lake? Do you think you are better than others? Ive heard of people getting their tires slashed or deflated along with other things. I didn't think it would happen to me until last Friday. I was up fishing and while my boat was tied off so I could go get my truck and trailer, some jerk stole my $200 rod and reel off the deck of my boat! Real nice.... why don't you people grow up and stop acting like 10 year old girls. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 24 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/3/20 @ 2:48 PM
bring on the ice
User since 2/9/17

Yep, unfortunately, it's the world we live in.  I lock my front door if I go to my truck in my own driveway (can't see my front door from the driveway).  They say if a thief wants to get in, they will get in no matter what security measures are taken, and a lock only keeps honest people honest.  Got news for for the reader:  If it takes a lock to keep an honest person honest...then they aren't honest to begin with!

And as far as 50% of people being thieves, it's nowhere near that.  Ten percent?  Even farther from the truth.  If I have ever "rounded up" on my timecard, if I have ever stretched out my lunch break, if I have ever given less than what is expected of me and agreed upon by my employer, I'm a thief, because time is money.  When I am on the clock, my time doesn't belong to me.  I sold it to my employer, and it belongs to him.  The real percentage of the population who are thieves is closer to 100%.  Now, if you want to make a distinction between this kind of thief and one who is characterized by thievery, that's easy sometimes but other times it's a grayer area....

Nevertheless, it's frustrating to the nth degree what happened to you.  One thing is for sure:  If we didn't have to take all these extra measures to protect our stuff, we could buy better gear plus spend more time fishing!

6/3/20 @ 1:05 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

deeog from 3 point range! ... also, sorry your gear was stolen, that sucks

6/3/20 @ 12:11 PM
deeog
User since 12/14/16

Do not think a ten year old girl would do this. Sorry your stuff was missing.

6/2/20 @ 8:21 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

You'd be amazed at how many landings have web-cams and security cams rolling. Check on it, the sooner the better.

6/1/20 @ 10:32 PM
nemab-man
User since 7/5/11

On a more positive note, a friend and I got wasted on homemade   Jagermiester about two years ago and left our rods in the dirt next to the launch where we were fishing. This was a public launch on the Mississippi river. Next day about noon we found our stuff neatly stacked under a picnic table. 

There are still some honest folk in this world. 

5/31/20 @ 7:00 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

I agree with CH.  It’s way easier to notice the 1% who are bad guys, than the 99% good guys.  Just human nature, I suppose...

5/31/20 @ 6:47 PM
Asleep at the Reel
User since 3/23/12

Had a storage unit broken into probably 15 years ago and my boat cleaned out.  Changed the way I looked at the human race forever.

Rather my kid be a drug dealer than a thief.

5/30/20 @ 10:57 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

I like the feedback on this thread.  I too believe the thieves are just opportunists....and would happily steal from a Wisconsin boat as they would an Illinois boat.  

My experience is that the percentage of people that are thieves is less than 10%.  If it is near 50% as claimed then it is time for God to end the world right now.  

5/30/20 @ 6:26 AM
Paranoid Percher
User since 8/19/18

Like my Dad told me 40 years ago A LOCK ONLY KEEPS A HONEST MAN OUT!

5/29/20 @ 3:04 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

...something to consider when you're buying something that's a steal...

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 24 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.