SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Theft and vandalizing

5/27/20 @ 12:33 PM
INITIAL POST
Bassturd68
User since 4/22/18

I would like to know why Wisconsin fisherman feel like its ok to vandalize peoples belongings and steal just because we are from out of state? Do you really think you own the lake? Do you think you are better than others? Ive heard of people getting their tires slashed or deflated along with other things. I didn't think it would happen to me until last Friday. I was up fishing and while my boat was tied off so I could go get my truck and trailer, some jerk stole my $200 rod and reel off the deck of my boat! Real nice.... why don't you people grow up and stop acting like 10 year old girls. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
6/3/20 @ 2:48 PM
bring on the ice
User since 2/9/17

Yep, unfortunately, it's the world we live in.  I lock my front door if I go to my truck in my own driveway (can't see my front door from the driveway).  They say if a thief wants to get in, they will get in no matter what security measures are taken, and a lock only keeps honest people honest.  Got news for for the reader:  If it takes a lock to keep an honest person honest...then they aren't honest to begin with!

And as far as 50% of people being thieves, it's nowhere near that.  Ten percent?  Even farther from the truth.  If I have ever "rounded up" on my timecard, if I have ever stretched out my lunch break, if I have ever given less than what is expected of me and agreed upon by my employer, I'm a thief, because time is money.  When I am on the clock, my time doesn't belong to me.  I sold it to my employer, and it belongs to him.  The real percentage of the population who are thieves is closer to 100%.  Now, if you want to make a distinction between this kind of thief and one who is characterized by thievery, that's easy sometimes but other times it's a grayer area....

Nevertheless, it's frustrating to the nth degree what happened to you.  One thing is for sure:  If we didn't have to take all these extra measures to protect our stuff, we could buy better gear plus spend more time fishing!

6/3/20 @ 1:05 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

deeog from 3 point range! ... also, sorry your gear was stolen, that sucks

6/3/20 @ 12:11 PM
deeog
User since 12/14/16

Do not think a ten year old girl would do this. Sorry your stuff was missing.

6/2/20 @ 8:21 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

You'd be amazed at how many landings have web-cams and security cams rolling. Check on it, the sooner the better.

5/31/20 @ 6:47 PM
Asleep at the Reel
User since 3/23/12

Had a storage unit broken into probably 15 years ago and my boat cleaned out.  Changed the way I looked at the human race forever.

Rather my kid be a drug dealer than a thief.

5/30/20 @ 10:57 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

I like the feedback on this thread.  I too believe the thieves are just opportunists....and would happily steal from a Wisconsin boat as they would an Illinois boat.  

My experience is that the percentage of people that are thieves is less than 10%.  If it is near 50% as claimed then it is time for God to end the world right now.  

5/30/20 @ 6:26 AM
Paranoid Percher
User since 8/19/18

Like my Dad told me 40 years ago A LOCK ONLY KEEPS A HONEST MAN OUT!

5/29/20 @ 3:04 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

...something to consider when you're buying something that's a steal...

5/29/20 @ 1:34 PM
Bruno1
User since 3/21/14
Sorry to hear your rod and reel was stolen.  That stinks.  I find it interesting that some people think nothing of stealing as though it is their right.  It is only wrong if I get caught.  It used to be that if you took your car in for repairs you could expect that any change in the cup holder or any loose cassette tapes or CDs would "disappear".  One of my relatives would laughingly talk about products "falling off the back of the truck".  He had brand new TVs, stereos, and appliances in his house that he acquired in that manner.  When I pointed out that he was stealing he just laughed.  I also pointed out that it affected all of us because the manufacturer or trucking company would raise their prices to account for theft and it would get passed on to the consumer.  More laughter.  Another relative managed a large facility and used his job to decorate his home and obtain other products and services.  When he finally got caught, he was fired.  He still does not believe he did anything wrong.  Ultimately it is a question of ethics and integrity.  I don't steal.  Never have.  I was not raised that way.  It's simply wrong.  Period.  Puritanical?  Maybe but I don't want to get into a debate.  If it ain't yours and unless it indisputably has been abandoned, don't take it.  Seems pretty frgn simple......

Bruno

5/28/20 @ 6:46 PM
Aluma1
User since 4/12/03

If you around long enough you will find out about 50 percent of people are dishonest thieves. It does not have anything to do with being out of state.  My own experience with employees and salesmen stealing from my company. When   my Dad had his 6 hp tiller stollen off his boat. That was in Crivitz WI. I think if you are honest with yourself. You will realize that some of your friends steal stuff also.  Pretty common people grabbing stuff from their employer.  

5/27/20 @ 10:38 PM
beelzebob
User since 9/24/01

Why do you say it was a fisherman?  It was a thief, and wherever you are from, they make thieves there too.  Your statement is rash.

I have had things stolen, trailer vandalized so my bunk fell and almost let my boat hit the road.  It wasn't sportsmen that did this, it was the same sort of subhuman that is just waiting for an opportunity at every gas station, boat landing, parking lot, neighborhood - you name it.

Take a few weeks and think the whole thing over.  Some form of what happened to you has happened to almost everyone on this site, and they did not do it to you.

5/27/20 @ 6:06 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Probably some damn meth heads. They dont care where your from. Buddy had his kicker stolen off boat last year. And it was a meth head. Conceal carry!!!

5/27/20 @ 5:31 PM
bp1357
User since 3/24/04

It's too easy to place blame on the issuing state of your boat or car tag - i.e. you're an out of state target? Safe bet that if the boat had WI tags and unlocked gear it would of also been stolen...Thieves are equal opportunity opportunists...they're not going to pass up an easy grab due to where the person is from..

5/27/20 @ 4:55 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

Rule of thumb for me is, if it holds any value, and unlocked, unsecured or unattended, someone will try and steal it. It's sad, but its the world we live in. I lock my truck when I park right in front of the door at a gas station, even if I only go in for a minute. I have zero faith or trust in people anymore. I always secure everything below deck and lock it away before I put my boat back on trailer. Even a minute out of my view is time enough for someone to swipe something.

5/27/20 @ 4:42 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Can't tell you how many planer boards I've returned to their rightful owners. Found a tackle box once with 2 credit cards in it. I drove it to the local sheriff's dept. I gave a crying kid one of my fishing rods when his got stolen from the bank he was fishing. And Holy Crap! I'm a Wisconsinite!

Thieves are among the lowest criminals out there. I put them right down there with pedophiles. It's a shame we can't shoot them if caught in the act.  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE