There are many locations that are public property . I have not checked all of them out personally. Some like Prentice park and the boat club by anglers are no good because of debris. You can research property ownership at ASHLAND COUNTY. WI EXTREME. Despite what people may say you can access the shore at a lot of places. The Ashland County WI Extreme maps used to show  the right of way,'' ROW '' as it would on  on other counties extreme sites. BUT YOU CAN STILL FIGURE IT OUT. I do not know how to print out a map but I will give you addresses . These are all east of pamida which I consider to be the better places. I had a place up on Lake Park road to go to and also did well at Americinn therefore east of Bayview Park.  between 2301-2401 lakeshore ROW    between 2419-2501 Lakeshore ROW N25th ave E    ROW EAST of  3401 Lake  Park Road which is Bretting    between 4117-4205 Lake Park Road ROW     between 4221-4303 Lake Park road  ROW    between 4321-4401 Lake Park road ROW  I dont advocate trespass but you have to know where you are, if in doubt ask the the neighbor, they will always tell you they own it, if you show them a map they are wrong.