SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Slow death hook rig

4/7/18 @ 8:38 AM
INITIAL POST
castle rock rigger
User since 12/9/12

Curious of opinions using slow death hook with bottom bouncer and night crawler.

Displaying 11 to 20 of 26 posts
4/21/18 @ 1:14 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Plmlk. Thanks much, I’ll check out sprawl mart tomorrow for the hooks,I have everything else.    CARPIO 

4/21/18 @ 11:09 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Here you are Carpio. 

Braided line through a bullet slip sinker, followed by a swivel (the rig  will not work without a swivel as the hook spins - without a swivel your line will turn into a birds nest), followed by an 18” mono leader, followed by the slow death hook.  Then cut a crawler in half, thread head first just past the eye of the hook, and leave the rest of the crawler hang (don’t leave too much crawler hang off or the rig will not spin) 

Somebody mentioned Gulp nightcrawlers, those seem to work well, and to be honest-stay on the hook bit better.  

You may have to play with it a bit to get it down, but it is a nice tool to have in your toolbox.  

4/18/18 @ 7:16 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Plmlk. I’ve been following your posts, I know how to rig  thanks to you but have no idea what the hook actually looks like!. Can I purchase them?   Thanks much!   CARPIO 

4/16/18 @ 7:15 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

You'll be glad you did Shane - it's another tool in the tool box.  

It comes with a warning if you do a lot of river fishing though - the goats love slow death rigs too!

4/16/18 @ 8:44 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

certainly am a fan.  I use this in areas where I know fish are stacked and can get right in their face.  While overall, I believe trolling can be more effective, there are times this is better.  And the hand to fish combat is a blast. 

4/15/18 @ 12:10 AM
h2ofowlmedic
User since 9/7/08
I use slow death rigs with crawlers to find active fish. Take a slow drift or pass through and area then move a bit or go to a different area. Once we pick up a fish we go back through with more aggressive tactics. Its fantastic for rivers where you will have multiple spots to drift and are wondering which one to try. You can eliminate a drift area pretty quick. The fish definantly like the slow death but I dont get many "bigger" fish on it like we do with more common tactics.
4/14/18 @ 2:06 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

We drift with slow death hooks frequently Shane.

Late spring / early summer slow death rigs and regular hooks seem to produce about the same.  However in mid to late summer, there is no question that the slow death presentation hooks more fish.  

I typically use a little less than half a crawler.  Also, the slow death hooks with the bait holder seem to hold the crawler in place much better than without the bait holder.  

I run braid with a slip sinker then a barrel swivel, then an 18 inch mono leader with a slow death hook.  You can cast the drop-offs and reel in slow, or drift with the wind and slowly jig.  

I'm a fan!  The eyes seem to like it when the crawler is doing a barrel roll over and over again!

4/14/18 @ 9:54 AM
Peterskeeter
User since 2/6/11

Run a walking sinker up your main line ( like braid), add orange or glow bead then tie on a swivel. Tie 18"-24" of 8-10 lb 'mono' to the business end of the swivel and tie on a slow death. Use with 1/2-full crawler (remember to always at least pinch the end off a crawler) leach, plastic, twister tail, or most anything you would put on a jig. 'Cast and retrieve' slowly along current breaks or weed lines. Mono helps keep the bait from just dragging along the bottom like Fluoro would. DEADLY! 

4/9/18 @ 2:11 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I tried the slow death hooks with plastic worms with tails. I seemed to do a bit better than normal. I'm sorta kinda a fan, lol

4/9/18 @ 1:49 PM
Derelict2
User since 8/12/05

We love slow deaths and use them for both bottom fishing current in rivers and trolling on bottom bouncers. Walleye's and drums seem to love em.

Do they work better than a regular rig? Not sure, but the added action is nice so we have stuck with them.

Displaying 11 to 20 of 26 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE