SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Shore fishing slobs

10/19/20 @ 8:53 AM
INITIAL POST
Hothead
User since 10/9/05

The other day I took a ride to check out some shore fishing spots and was irritated with all the trash I found. Cups, cans, bait containers and paper. I've never understood why you have to throw the stuff on the ground and not pack it out when you leave. It was heavier when you walked in. And the people that are doing this will be the first ones to complain that the area is closed to fishing. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
12/21/20 @ 12:36 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04

Last summer I went to one of my favorite honey holes and what did I find in the water? An empty 6 pack of beer cans. The land owner has now posted this place as no parking so unless you walk a mile you can get in. I always pick up trash when I see it but dang it, some people a just plain stupid and ruin it for everyone else. It wont be long before all the good places are closed off from public access. When I see the land owners I always say hello and thank them for letting the public fish his ponds. It goes a long ways but leaving your trash behind just ruins that good will.

12/1/20 @ 3:59 PM
wi river rat
User since 4/2/02

I won't fish the Yahara River/Cherokee Marsh off of HWY 113 in Madison because of the garbage.  Last week I almost took a picture of something I saw and it would of been perfect for this topic.  Leaving Lake Monona last week I saw two clear plastic cups with some liquid in them sitting on the docks they took out at Law Park. Then I saw a garbage can literally five feet from them.  Good Lord how flipp'n lazy can people be. There wasn't even a top on the garbage can.  Take two steps and drop them in.  Rat

11/28/20 @ 11:52 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I know the spot Brent. It used to be elbow to elbow fishermen at times and the area looked like a dump.  Same with the residential area on the NE side of Tichigan where a few kind folks allowed access .     Not any more and I don’t blame them!   CARPIO 

11/28/20 @ 10:47 AM
mikieb
User since 10/11/15

Kinda on the same note....   I frequently walk the Ice Age trail.  I rarely ever see any litter along the trail...  until turkey hunting season... then I see cigarette butts all up and down the trail.

A week ago, I was walking the dog and found a climbing stand, on a tree,  along the trail on public land.  unattended... no big deal.  Except for the amount of food wrappers and such all around the bottom of the tree...  that $hit just pisses me off... you get to use the land for free and you reward and give thanks for the free use by leaving your trash all over the ground. 

Two days later. still deer season... I take the dog for a walk on the same trail... 30-06 over the shoulder... 'cause it is public land...   and I come up on the trail where I was earlier in the week... and holy cow. there is a dude in the tree 20 some feet off the ground in that climber... 

The conversation started pleasant...  but then...  I let him know I was't too please with his lack of respect and then some of the a hole in me bubbled to the top and he knew to pick up his litter before I left... 

Going back out the check the trail today.  See how effective I was in leaving an impression.  Not hoping for much. 

11/28/20 @ 10:31 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

The north side of lake Tichigan has a public firelane that provides access to the lake.  

You used to be able to park your car in the street, but year after year, folks littered the street with garbage. The homeowners got tired of it, went to the town board, and a no parking restriction has been in place ever since.

It’s a perfect example of a few slobs ruining access for all. 

Guess my point is, a big thanks for all you who do your part and clean up other peoples messes.

11/28/20 @ 8:25 AM
Old White Guy
User since 11/28/20

A little off subject, but Carpio had a good comment.  The same people can't but a shopping cart back to where it belongs. The Germans that own Aldi's figured out that not for a nickel, not for a dime, but if you charge them a quarter for their cart which is refundable the people will return to it's rightful place every time. Why doesn't everybody do this?  I saw a shopping cart sail across a Pick and Save parking lot last year that did $1800 worth of damage to a new pickup.

11/27/20 @ 9:42 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I have a shore fishing spot I like to take my son to who has acute autism. He hates the boat. There are always beer cans (up to 30 at a time), worm containers, chicken liver containers, line, food and lure wrappers, etc. Every spring we bag out as much as we can carry. It is adjacent to a very nice sub-division that could get shore access shut down. Very nice spring catfish spot for an old guy and his adult son. Hoping to keep it open as long as I can. It's depressing to see and forces me to reflect on the nature of humanity in general. I am not hopeful for the future.

11/27/20 @ 10:52 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

I keep medical gloves in my tackle box for this very reason.  My buddy made fun of me that I was afraid to touch the fish... Until he saw me put a glove on to pick up some trash. 

11/27/20 @ 9:40 AM
Hothead
User since 10/9/05

I put the boat away a few weeks ago so I went to a popular shore fishing spot before gun season. Now instead of just throwing trash on the ground we now have to leave deer carcasses. I did call the DNR but I don't expect to hear back from them. What the hell is wrong with people. 

10/19/20 @ 7:13 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I don't talk about this much, but it does bother me a ton.  I clean up trash often at shore fishing locations that are popular.  Hustisford Spillway is brutal.  Grafton location where you port your canoe into the MKE River is bad.  I clean up almost every time I go to those spots.  I put that in my videos sometimes, to maybe encourage people to be cleaner, but they don't.  Also, it's easy to say it isn't fisherman, but that's simply not true.  Half the trash I clean up are old worm containers, packaging for lures, etc.  If you see someone doing this, call them out on it.  They don't deserve to share our water if they won't help keep it clean.

10/19/20 @ 2:39 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

These are the same people who are too lazy to return shopping carts to their proper stalls.   CARPIO 

10/19/20 @ 2:38 PM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

same can be said about public hunting areas as well. i hope i run into the worthless slobs who do this. 

10/19/20 @ 12:33 PM
Mountain
Mountain
User since 1/7/02

I live in De Pere and am constantly picking up trash/line/soda bottles/junk up by the dam area. There are enough trash cans where folks can dispose of things properly. I always carry spare plastic bags to pick up trash whenever I kayak fish up north or launch my boat at any landing. 

10/19/20 @ 10:53 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

I'm with you I never understood this myself. And there is a lot of people doing it. I caught an old guy throwing garbage out of his car by a thrift shop. His car had navy stickers on the back of his SUV. I asked the man is this what they thought you in the Navy. And then I proceeded to give him an ear full. There was a garbage can 20 feet away from where he was throwing the stuff out of his car. Long story short I don't think he will be littering anytime soon

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE