LOGIN
Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

reduced bag limit Winnebago system

2/26/20 @ 9:56 AM
ORIGNAL POST
capt.spanky
User since 6/12/02

Effective 04/01/2020 daily bag on walleyes is reduced to 3 fish no size limit. Details on dnr website. 

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 40 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/1/20 @ 11:37 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Crawler, it was posted over a month ago so had to go back and read, but yes that is correct.

I assume in your post you're talking a 5 Walleye per person limit with four people in the boat. Let's keep in mind on 'bago now it's 3 Walleye per day though.

Using your numbers of 19 Walleyes kept with four people fishing  (you are running 12 lines).......at that point you are running 9 more lines than allowed, because 3 people have already boated their limit of 5 Walleyes each and one has 4. The limit is dictated per person (daily bag) not per vessel. In WI once you have reached your daily bag limit you are not allowed to target that species anymore, you must stop fishing for them by removing their lines from the spread. Catch and release of a single species is only allowed up until your daily bag limit. In WI once it goes in a livewell or cooler it is considered part of your daily bag even if you choose to release it later.

In states where culling is allowed you can continue to fish because you can "upgrade" your catch if they are kept in a releasable condition. 

The same holds true on Lake Michigan with Trout and Salmon, you must reduce your line count after each licensed angler aboard reaches their daily bag limit.

Chartering with a captain and/or crew adds other variables I will not discuss to confuse anybody.

4/1/20 @ 11:04 AM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

Fish Hound....

Regarding your comment below....is that accurate for Wisconsin or any state nearby?  You can always catch and release, so I haven't seen any regulations around using less poles when you are nearing your limit.  I have always understood it as you have 19 keepers in the boat, with 1 to go.  You can still fish with 12 poles/boards, because you can throw them back.  

That being said if you're out trolling six boards with Flickershads and have 5 Walleyes in the well you're in for trouble. Same can be said for any type of fishing, if they feel you are still reasonably targeting Walleye after you have your limit you're in trouble.

4/1/20 @ 10:10 AM
RZfishnut
User since 1/31/16

Today's the day it finally changes. Hopefully the bag limit change will only be for five years like they said. Unfortunately the fish are getting hammered more this year with everybody off fishing.

I still wonder why nothing was done specifically to protect the immature females in Oshkosh , the neighbor had a couple 11" fish and said they weren't females because they didn't have eggs and he actually believed it!

3/16/20 @ 1:37 PM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

Found the new changes here:

https://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/fh/fh0301.pdf#page=76 

Hope this helps save some people money/ having a bad day.

2/29/20 @ 11:53 AM
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

I am not the greatest fisherman.   Except for a limit each year in May or June I seldom catch more than 1 or 2.  Maybe a reduced bag limit will help me out.  I don't think my family has ever taken more than 20 walleye in a year out of the system.

2/27/20 @ 11:13 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Yeah, I guess I was talking about Walleye fishing on this Walleye fishing thread. Of course you can fish for a different species.

That being said if you're out trolling six boards with Flickershads and have 5 Walleyes in the well you're in for trouble. Same can be said for any type of fishing, if they feel you are still reasonably targeting Walleye after you have your limit you're in trouble.

2/27/20 @ 10:01 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

Fishhound- “Remember, now a boat with two anglers can have no more that four Walleyes in the well if both want to keep fishing. If you want to break the law by culling you better be doing it two short of a two person limit or your breaking more than just a culling law and it's much harder to say "oh, I wasn't fishing" when a warden is watching from afar.”

This is actually not true for the most part. You can be in possession of a full limit of walleyes but still continue to fish. There are still other fish in the system to fish for that are caught in the same manner as you would walleyes. Perch, whitebass, pike, small and largemouth bass can all be fished for and are often fished for in a similar way and location to walleyes. Now, IF you do have a limit of walleyes and continue to fish in a way that potentially also catches walleyes but targeting a different fish and end up catching a large percentage of walleyes compared to the targeted specie, then I could see a warden having a problem with it and would tell you to move to a different location. But if I had been sitting on a reef jigging or out trolling, caught a limit of walleyes and had them in my possession, then went to cast a shoreline or weed bed for bass, an incidental walleye isn’t going to be unlawful if immediately released. 

2/27/20 @ 2:19 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

PeterSkeeter....Maybe you got a rude PM, but I didn't see anyone's post below as being rude.  I looked for the 2020-2021 regs just last week and couldn't find them.  So they haven't been released yet.  Apparently they will be shortly.  

Someone has been nice enough to share ground-breaking news ahead of time.  Thank you for that.  

2/27/20 @ 12:57 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Peter, you're looking at the 2019-2020 regulations, the new rule doesn't take effect until the 2020-2021 season.

"The DNR doesn't do mid year changes. They do them with the next printing of the regs"  - The book your looking at is void 3/31/2020 and the new rule takes effect 4/01/2020. The regulation year runs concurrent with the license year all 4/01/2020.

I apologize if you fell pointing out what is correct is being rude.

2/27/20 @ 12:51 PM
Peterskeeter
User since 2/6/11

Just going by what the 'DNR fishing regulations' page says. (seems to be late February) I don't get my rules and regulations from Lake-Link. I wana see the actual regs from the DNR. Thats all..... Maybe I'll try to post on lake link in another 3 or 4  years. Seems nothing has changed. To bad, I could post a lot of fishing reports that I'm sure folks could use. I won't because people just CAN'T be polite here....... 

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/regulations/

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 40 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.