LOGIN
Lake-Link

Quest to catch 50 different fish species in Wisconsin

11/18/16 @ 5:41 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm turning 40 tomorrow.  I figure, I'm not going to get better at anything athletically, but I still want to have some goals in life.  I like fishing, but I don't get out there as much as I'd like.  To motivate myself and to keep it interesting, I decided to set a goal of catching 50 different species of fish here in my home state of Wisconsin.  And to add to the difficulty, I have to catch each as I'm filming it.  I'm going to post each video to this thread, and I'm also going to need help as I go.  Any tips on how to catch different species of fish would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first fish I caught on video, the Bigmouth Buffalo by the Hustisford Dam.

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 141 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/31/18 @ 5:35 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

I did not know there was a hornyhead chub.  The things l learn hanging out with you guys.....

7/31/18 @ 4:17 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I caught species 36 and 37 yesterday when I went to the Mukwonago River.  The White Sucker and The Hornyhead Chub.

7/23/18 @ 11:50 AM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Caught a new species in Hustistford.  The Brown Bullhead.  I took my kids fishing, and my oldest son caught one.  I went the next morning to try to catch one of my own, and was lucky enough to get one. 

7/17/18 @ 5:45 PM
shadling1
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
On a side note if your still looking for musky swing down below the sauk dam while your in the area. Probably one of the "easier" areas to get one from shore at least.

7/17/18 @ 5:10 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Sauger is just like Walleye basically. I catch with a sinker and floating jig. Leeches/Minnows/Crawlers. They’ll hit all 3 as for live bait. Floating jig should be set at a height that works for area you are fishing. If you have a foot of weeds, then your Floater would be right above weeds. If it’s rocky and sandy, you don’t have to set it very high. You get the picture. You’re actually becoming quite the fisherman Tiefsa!!! Very interesting goal and it’s entertaining for all of us!!!! Great job again on how far you’ve come in a short time. It probably gets challenging the closer you get to 50! I have faith in you brother. 

Someone should throw in advice with artificial bait/lures. That way you have different ways to target them. I have never targeted them, but just caught them while Walleye fishing. Some people use Slip bobbers too.  Good luck Tiefsa

7/17/18 @ 11:46 AM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I caught species #34, a quillback, a few days ago out of the Wisconsin River.  Also, thanks for all the tips.  I'm going to go after sauger in Portage next.  What lures (baits) and such work for sauger.  Worm slowly reeled in that's close to the bottom?

7/10/18 @ 6:44 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Lots of Sauger in Wisconsin river around Portage. You most likely will catch one at the boat launch just upstream from Hookers resort I can't remember the boat launch name.

7/9/18 @ 7:10 PM
shadling1
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
Good numbers of white crappie in Lake Wisconsin. Though might be tough from shore. 

7/9/18 @ 4:57 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

I think a trip west might be warranted at some point.  My daughter’s boyfriend just caught another gar in the Pettibone Lagoon in La Crosse.  They’re fairly common.  Not to mention you have fishing floats in Genoa and Trempealeau WI and Dresbach MN all within 20 miles.

Just food for thought

edit - the floats as previously mentioned for sauger, but any number of other species are possible, if not likely, as well

7/9/18 @ 3:26 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm up to 33, but now it is harder and harder to locate and target fish.  Here's a list of some that I think are catchable, but I might need help.

White Crappie, Longnose Gar, Shortnose Gar, Sauger, White Sucker, Burbot (Eelpout, Lawyer), Coho Salmon, Lake Trout, Cisco, Quillback Sucker, Shovelnose Sturgeon, Grass Pickerel, Musky... That's all I can think of. 

Any info on any of these species (or other fish in WI that aren't commonly targeted) that I could catch would be greatly appreciated!

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 141 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.