LOGIN
Lake-Link

Quest to catch 50 different fish species in Wisconsin

11/18/16 @ 5:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm turning 40 tomorrow.  I figure, I'm not going to get better at anything athletically, but I still want to have some goals in life.  I like fishing, but I don't get out there as much as I'd like.  To motivate myself and to keep it interesting, I decided to set a goal of catching 50 different species of fish here in my home state of Wisconsin.  And to add to the difficulty, I have to catch each as I'm filming it.  I'm going to post each video to this thread, and I'm also going to need help as I go.  Any tips on how to catch different species of fish would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first fish I caught on video, the Bigmouth Buffalo by the Hustisford Dam.

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 211 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/8/20 @ 1:29 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Got a new one!  Grass Pickerel caught in Rockland Lake down in Burlington, WI.  I'm downloading the footage now to make a video.  I was searching for who gave me the tip for this one, but I can't find it!  Thanks, though!!!  My son caught a grass pickerel as well.  So cool!

1/28/20 @ 8:43 AM
bluegrouse
bluegrouse
User since 7/11/05

Hey Tiefsa,

Thanks for all the great videos and reports.  For cisco check out the link on Geneva.  For grass pickerel give Lower Phantom a try.  Good luck.

1/26/20 @ 8:28 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Hey Baker's Dozen.  I want to target Cisco by ice fishing but the lakes they are in don't have good ice (Green Lake - Elkhart Lake - Pine Lake in Washington County) and I also heard of a spot in Southern Wisconsin where I could target Grass Pickerel, but I'm nervous about driving over an hour south to find out that there isn't good ice.  I've only got five to go.  These are the five I'd like to catch.  Cisco, Grass Pickerel, Shovelnose Sturgeon (out of the Wisconsin River), Greater Redhorse Sucker (out of the Milwaukee River), and a Musky.

1/26/20 @ 11:24 AM
Bakers Dozen
Bakers Dozen
User since 6/18/01

How is your quest going?

1/8/20 @ 8:36 AM
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

Pine Lake in Waukesha has Ciscoes but the Zebra Mussels impacted the population.  Big Green also has Ciscoes.  One other odd species to try for would be Smelt, some times people catch them on Green Bay.

1/7/20 @ 6:50 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I've used that fish mapping tool.  It's amazing!  I found a little creek near my house with native brook trout because of it.  Also, I did try Elkhart Lake for Cisco and totally struck out last winter.  Maybe I'll have to try it again, but any tips on what strategy I need to catch them would be greatly appreciated.  I saw them on the flasher, but whatever bait or lure I was using didn't work.

This last weekend, I took my son to try our luck with burbot again, and he caught a really nice one!  

1/7/20 @ 11:10 AM
NBKOutdoorsYT
User since 10/22/19

To help you out, the DNR has an incredible tool named the Fish Mapping Application. You can search by species and county to find the ones you don't have yet. Here is a link to it: https://cida.usgs.gov/wdnr_fishmap/map/

1/1/20 @ 9:44 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

just giving you some relevant data to possibly enhance your goal achievement... enjoy your videos

cicsoes in Elkhart lake, apparently, plus trout, another greasy meal to grow fish big!

are-lakes-running-out-of-whitefish-ciscoes/ .... "However, the highest average cisco catch rate per night of netting was from Elkhart Lake in southeastern Wisconsin’s Sheboygan County, where the catch ranged from zero to 137 fish. "

DNR data dnr.wi.gov/lakes/LakePages/LakeDetail

12/30/19 @ 7:18 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16
Thanks nihsif for all the information.  I think I know of a lake to ice fish for grass pickerel.  Also, does Elkhart Lake have Cisco in it?

If I catch a mudpuppy, I wouldn't count it, but I'm guessing you're just joking.  I have caught some other "species" besides fish on hook and line.  Let's see.  What were they...

1. Northern Map Turtle in the Wisconsin River

2. Bullfrog in my local pond

3. Smooth Soft-shell Turtle in the Wisconsin River

4. Painter Turtle in Pewaukee Lake

5. Almost caught a duck in Lake Michigan, but it thankfully got off the hook before I got it to the boat.

12/29/19 @ 9:37 PM
Tjfaivre
Tjfaivre
User since 4/5/07

If you want to catch a mud puppy, I usually have 3-4 on my tip ups every night.  

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 211 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.