LOGIN
Lake-Link

Quest to catch 50 different fish species in Wisconsin

11/18/16 @ 5:41 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm turning 40 tomorrow.  I figure, I'm not going to get better at anything athletically, but I still want to have some goals in life.  I like fishing, but I don't get out there as much as I'd like.  To motivate myself and to keep it interesting, I decided to set a goal of catching 50 different species of fish here in my home state of Wisconsin.  And to add to the difficulty, I have to catch each as I'm filming it.  I'm going to post each video to this thread, and I'm also going to need help as I go.  Any tips on how to catch different species of fish would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first fish I caught on video, the Bigmouth Buffalo by the Hustisford Dam.

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 141 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/4/19 @ 2:21 PM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Try the Fox River between the Waterford dam and Burlington.theres public access in many areas. The park in Rochester above and below the dam should get you a yellow bass. Use small Mepps type spinners. CARPIO 

2/4/19 @ 1:49 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Yellow Bass are plentiful in Lake Kegonsa.  Give that lake a try.  Not sure if they bite too readily in the winter, but I catch plenty of them in the summer there.  All four lakes in the Madison chain have them, but they seem more plentiful on Kegonsa than any of the other lakes.

2/4/19 @ 10:11 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Cisco on big green is where i'd be going.  weather conditions permitting obviously.

2/4/19 @ 10:01 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Tiefsa, Very entertaining! The last 11 are going to be tough. I would help you out but think you already got all the species in my lake! Looking forward to your stradagy. Good luck bro

2/3/19 @ 3:47 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I've been struggling!!! I've tried to catch Yellow Bass on Lac LaBelle, and then I went to Elkhart Lake for Cisco.  I didn't catch either.  I'm not giving up on my quest, though! Currently stuck on 39 fish.

10/16/18 @ 11:01 AM
Jackal
Jackal
User since 5/19/05

Try the bridge on Hwy I by the Waukesha County park for gar. My son was able to get them in the late spring/early summer. He said they were stacked up 20 deep. Good luck. 

9/30/18 @ 12:49 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Caught another species - the Northern Sunfish.  I called it the Longear Sunfish in my video, but the people at roughfish.com say it's a northern sunfish.  Either way, it's a new species for me, #39

8/7/18 @ 5:11 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Brought the kids to the Wisconsin River to fish with me (they pretty much just swam or played in the sand, which is fine), and I caught a sauger (a new species for me).

8/1/18 @ 9:01 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Congrats on 36/37!!,!! Wish I could help you, but you’re doing great on ur own!

8/1/18 @ 7:36 AM
baconsbaits
baconsbaits
User since 1/12/09

i saw a story from the dnr about the creek survey  from gobin hollow creek in richland county.  survey showed brown trout, brook trout, grass pickerel and mud minnow.  no idea what part of the creek, but it has pickerel.  thinking about checking it out for myself too.  

Bacon

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 141 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.