LOGIN
Lake-Link

Quest to catch 50 different fish species in Wisconsin

11/18/16 @ 5:41 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm turning 40 tomorrow.  I figure, I'm not going to get better at anything athletically, but I still want to have some goals in life.  I like fishing, but I don't get out there as much as I'd like.  To motivate myself and to keep it interesting, I decided to set a goal of catching 50 different species of fish here in my home state of Wisconsin.  And to add to the difficulty, I have to catch each as I'm filming it.  I'm going to post each video to this thread, and I'm also going to need help as I go.  Any tips on how to catch different species of fish would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first fish I caught on video, the Bigmouth Buffalo by the Hustisford Dam.

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 141 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/1/19 @ 7:44 PM
Treeshark
User since 4/5/09

Cool deal Tiefsa. Good luck with your boat- I know you don’t want to start out on Lake Michigan, but once you’re comfortable there is good Lake Trout fishing just around the harbor in Milwaukee (should be able to find old episodes of Gillespie’s show, they catch them quite frequently when they fish there).

8/1/19 @ 7:19 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

You can get gar from shore on the Wolf River. Fish after dark with a lantern over the water. They come up to eat minnows attracted to the light. You'll see them right below the surface.

8/1/19 @ 6:37 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Treeshark, yup I caught a brook trout. That was a fun fish to target (and quite possibly the prettiest fish I’ve caught)

8/1/19 @ 5:51 PM
Treeshark
User since 4/5/09

Good for you on the boat, should be lots of fun for you and the kids!

No suggestions that would be helpful for you, but I had a thought pop up- have you caught a brook trout yet? A boat won’t help, but it would be an easy/fun one to knock off of your list.

Keep rolling, I like following your quest!

8/1/19 @ 4:49 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16
I bought a boat!!!  This opens up a world of opportunities for me.  It's a 17 foot fish and ski (Euroline with a 2stroke 115hp engine)  No, I didn't buy it specifically to catch 10 more species of fish in Wisconsin, but it was a strong factor!  Anyways.  Here's where I want to go with it.  Any tips at these places would be greatly appreciated.

1. Green Lake for Cisco and/or Lake Trout.  Where on the lake should I go to target them?  I bought some blade lures to get down deeper to target these types of fish.

2. Lower Phantom Lake for Warmouth and/or Lake Chubsucker and/or Grass Pickerel

3. Lac La Belle for Yellow Bass

Not confident with the boat yet to try and take it onto the Wisconsin River.  Also, where can I target the following?

Gar

White Crappie

Burbot (can you target them in Lake Winnebago in the summer?)

Also, not confident yet with the boat to take it on Lake Michigan.  I don't have the equipment to troll for Coho Salmon or Lake Trout (I've already caught King/Chinook Salmon, Brown Trout, and Steelhead/Rainbow Trout)

Any other ideas for me of where to go to catch a specific species of fish that is much easier from a boat than from shore?  THANKS!!!

7/18/19 @ 10:46 AM
bass423
MEMBER since 3/1/12

T,

I am not sure given the extreme warm water in that body of water.  That was back in the 70's and 80's when it was full of fish.  Haven't been there since around 1990.

7/18/19 @ 8:54 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

LOL I used to be a Speedway guy (loaded up on rewards points when I would fuel a company vehicle), but I have since converted to the KT.  Fresh coffee, good food, friendly staff, and always clean.

7/18/19 @ 7:44 AM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks SnakeSter!  It is a bit crazy now.  I'm always catching fish, and I can tell I have definitely improved at fishing (reading the water, where I think fish will be...) It's just catching different ones, you know!

I've got a buddy in California that watches the videos and once I did something about Kwik Trip and he said that was his favorite part of the video, so I've been doing that ever since.  Plus, I actually really do like Kwik Trip. 

7/18/19 @ 6:40 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Congrats on #40 Tiefsa!!!! Nice Gill by the way. 

Ive watched every video, and will tell you that once I got used to ur sense of humor, I laugh quite a bit. Your quest is getting tougher and your early morning pre-vids at KT are hilarious. Keep up the good work and the funky music is funny too!!!! Lolt

When you finish your quest, you’re going to have some crazy good fishing skills!!!!!

7/17/19 @ 9:06 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks Waltereye Sr!  I've got plenty of tips and ideas on where to go and what to do.  Sometimes though, the fish that people say are going to be there aren't in that spot, or they just won't bite.  

Also, Bass423 that's an amazing list.  Are there still striped bass in Lake Colombia?

DISPLAYING 20 TO 29 OF 141 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.