LOGIN
Lake-Link

Quest to catch 50 different fish species in Wisconsin

11/18/16 @ 4:41 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm turning 40 tomorrow.  I figure, I'm not going to get better at anything athletically, but I still want to have some goals in life.  I like fishing, but I don't get out there as much as I'd like.  To motivate myself and to keep it interesting, I decided to set a goal of catching 50 different species of fish here in my home state of Wisconsin.  And to add to the difficulty, I have to catch each as I'm filming it.  I'm going to post each video to this thread, and I'm also going to need help as I go.  Any tips on how to catch different species of fish would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first fish I caught on video, the Bigmouth Buffalo by the Hustisford Dam.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 171 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/12/20 @ 11:12 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

Lol... acquiring gear is just a part of the sport and spiffy marketing!

Taking the kids, which you've done, pays off in spades... and if they love it,  a bonus to you and the sport...

Good luck,  enjoy 

2/12/20 @ 3:36 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Don't tell my wife about all the gear I've bought! Ha!  She's reluctantly let me gear up so long as I include the kids with some of my trips.  It really has been a family adventure! I might be going after Cisco soon if I can get this stupid old fish finder to work that I bought on Craigslist for 50 bucks.

2/12/20 @ 8:25 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

congrats on the grass pickerel ! ...been interesting to watch the accumulation of fishing gear since you started this quest

2/12/20 @ 5:59 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Great video Tiefsa!!!! You were right in my neck of the woods.
I respect you enormously for your perseverance! Don’t think you could have got that dangerous Grassy without Nicko showing you how on this one!!!!! Lol The race was fantastic, and of course, Nicko won!!!! Lol Great job!!!! 

2/11/20 @ 5:51 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Four left!  This is species 46 - Grass Pickerel - Through the ice in Rockland Lake in Burlington, WI 

2/8/20 @ 10:20 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Fantastic Tiefsa!! Only (3) left, correct?

2/8/20 @ 12:29 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Got a new one!  Grass Pickerel caught in Rockland Lake down in Burlington, WI.  I'm downloading the footage now to make a video.  I was searching for who gave me the tip for this one, but I can't find it!  Thanks, though!!!  My son caught a grass pickerel as well.  So cool!

1/28/20 @ 7:43 AM
bluegrouse
bluegrouse
User since 7/11/05

Hey Tiefsa,

Thanks for all the great videos and reports.  For cisco check out the link on Geneva.  For grass pickerel give Lower Phantom a try.  Good luck.

1/26/20 @ 7:28 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Hey Baker's Dozen.  I want to target Cisco by ice fishing but the lakes they are in don't have good ice (Green Lake - Elkhart Lake - Pine Lake in Washington County) and I also heard of a spot in Southern Wisconsin where I could target Grass Pickerel, but I'm nervous about driving over an hour south to find out that there isn't good ice.  I've only got five to go.  These are the five I'd like to catch.  Cisco, Grass Pickerel, Shovelnose Sturgeon (out of the Wisconsin River), Greater Redhorse Sucker (out of the Milwaukee River), and a Musky.

1/26/20 @ 10:24 AM
Bakers Dozen
Bakers Dozen
User since 6/18/01

How is your quest going?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 171 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.