LOGIN
Lake-Link

Quest to catch 50 different fish species in Wisconsin

11/18/16 @ 4:41 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm turning 40 tomorrow.  I figure, I'm not going to get better at anything athletically, but I still want to have some goals in life.  I like fishing, but I don't get out there as much as I'd like.  To motivate myself and to keep it interesting, I decided to set a goal of catching 50 different species of fish here in my home state of Wisconsin.  And to add to the difficulty, I have to catch each as I'm filming it.  I'm going to post each video to this thread, and I'm also going to need help as I go.  Any tips on how to catch different species of fish would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first fish I caught on video, the Bigmouth Buffalo by the Hustisford Dam.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 150 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/12/19 @ 11:57 AM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Whats  the count up to . Any game fish left to catch or is just the rough fish and minnows  . Are you counting the tiniest such as Rainbow Darters ? We only ever caught them in nets only being 3"long .

12/12/19 @ 9:34 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I've heard that there's a similar bite in later February around the bay side of Sturgeon Bay. But like Winnebago, I heard it's a pretty narrow window. 

I bring back all of the pout that I can when I go to Canada. None of the guys that I go with will eat them so they keep them for me. They don't know what they're missing!

12/11/19 @ 9:53 PM
Treeshark
User since 4/5/09

You probably already have heard this, but if you still need an eelpout come February, Winnebago is a pretty good bet. Rocky reeds at night with minnows on tip ups or jigging spoons should work.

12/11/19 @ 9:47 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Failed again trying for burbot down in Milwaukee.  This time I used cut bait (smelt) to no avail.

11/17/19 @ 12:39 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I was told cutbait (whitefish or cisco) was good for burbot. Anyone know where I can find some?  I tried to catch some burbot this weekend and failed.

11/15/19 @ 8:26 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks Bluegrouse for the id chart, and One Shot One Kill, I'm up to 44.  I'm heading out tomorrow morning for a chance at 45.  I don't really think I have a good shot at it (burbot in MKE) but I'm heading down that way anyway tomorrow morning, so I'll be fishing by the lighthouse for a few hours in the morning.  

11/15/19 @ 7:34 AM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Tiefsa

I have been following your journey a bit . Whats the count number at  ?

Thanks 

11/12/19 @ 10:52 AM
bluegrouse
bluegrouse
User since 7/11/05

Tiefsa,

Thanks for the vid, I attached a pic of a very good redhorse ID chart hope it helps.   You can also google redhorse id and view the pics on your phone.  Your fish had no color in the tail and had a concave dorsal fin but I could not see the lips, so my guess is:  Golden redhorse.  A good rule of thumb is no color in the tai then color in the name and vice versa.  Good luck and keep the post coming.

11/10/19 @ 8:41 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Tried to catch a greater redhorse in the Milwaukee River.

9/23/19 @ 6:31 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Wasn't that kid great, though!  I guess now I have to try above the dam!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 150 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.