LOGIN
Lake-Link

Quest to catch 50 different fish species in Wisconsin

11/18/16 @ 5:41 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm turning 40 tomorrow.  I figure, I'm not going to get better at anything athletically, but I still want to have some goals in life.  I like fishing, but I don't get out there as much as I'd like.  To motivate myself and to keep it interesting, I decided to set a goal of catching 50 different species of fish here in my home state of Wisconsin.  And to add to the difficulty, I have to catch each as I'm filming it.  I'm going to post each video to this thread, and I'm also going to need help as I go.  Any tips on how to catch different species of fish would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first fish I caught on video, the Bigmouth Buffalo by the Hustisford Dam.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 140 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 1:41 PM
Treeshark
User since 4/5/09

Agreed, that kid was very polite, helpful and genuinely excited to be part of you catching that fish. Great stuff!

I’ve fished that spot many times when I lived in Grafton, never heard of a king getting up that far. The Milwaukee must be high?  Oh, and I agree with you that below the dam is usually better fishing, but just above the dam where those people were is actually a productive smallie spot too (must be some sort of structure there).

TODAY @ 8:46 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

that was a cool story/video... the kid was awesome, so genuine! ...I appreciated your concern for his safety and that you included him in. Probably a memory for him for life... cool beans!

9/21/19 @ 7:18 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Not a new species, but a big surprise catch for me.  I caught my first king salmon from shore.  I was fishing for smallmouth bass in the Milwaukee River by the dam in Grafton and hooked into a nice king salmon.  I thought I snagged a carp (it felt way too big to be a smallmouth), but then I got it in and saw I caught a nice King!

I'm looking to try for shovelnose sturgeon or smallmouth buffalo maybe next weekend in the Wisconsin River.  

9/10/19 @ 6:40 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Awesome video man!!!!!! I want to go sturgeon fishing with ya sometime. I’ve never did that and it looks amazing. Great job Tiefsa!!!

9/9/19 @ 9:00 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Was hoping to catch a Shovelnose Sturgeon, but I ended up catching my largest sturgeon ever and my second ever Flathead Catfish.  A good day even if there were no new species caught

8/19/19 @ 6:44 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!! The Gar is off Da List!!!!! Great job buddy!!!!

8/18/19 @ 7:18 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks for the tips on Warmouth SnakeSter and Mr.Bass1984.  I'll see if I can get back out there with leeches.  There might be some riprap by the end of Phantom Lake near the mouth of the lower Mukwonago River.  

I caught another new species for me!  Gar!  I was super excited about this one.  Here's the video.  

8/14/19 @ 5:23 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Lol Mr Bass!!! You’re exactly right! They have a very high metabolism for sure. 

8/14/19 @ 11:00 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I always seem to catch warmouth around riprap shorelines.  They'll eat just about anything.

8/14/19 @ 7:41 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

You’ll know when you catch a Warmouth because they are vicious little fish. They will do everything to poke you with their gillspikes. They have red eyes too. They are mean little suckers. Caught a lot of them on Phantom using leaches. That’s the only thing I use while panfishing because bass love them too.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 140 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.