MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Popular Wisconsin fishing guide caught fishing out of season in Michigan

4/14/23 @ 11:01 AM
INITIAL POST
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Not sure if you guys have seen this yet but Michigan DNR has accused and ticked guide Eric Haataja for fishing walleye of of season. Here's a you-tube video that summarizes the case and incudes some clips directly from Haataja's facebook page where he documented the illegal activity himself.

https://youtu.be/6hXe23HuWm4 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
6/20/23 @ 12:05 PM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18
I was a pretty crappy husband to my first wife. That marriage ended over 30 years ago....several years ago my 1st wife's best friend's husband told my new FIL  - his new boss - a few things about my past - very youthful -  transgressions. I didn't bother responding but I could have truthfully said that of course "Dave" would know. He was my ex's cocaine dealer.

1) negative information about other people is a kind of social currency. Lots of folks enjoy discussing the shortcomings of others.

2) Dave's lucky I'm not quite like "lots of folks".

Almost everybody lives in a glass house of one kind or another.

I'd guess at least one person active on this thread has a DUI or three...maybe backhanded his wife or a kid "when they deserved it"...Stole something "insignificant" - maybe they got caught,maybe they didn't...Maybe patronizes a hooker on occasion...Maybe that midget hooker in Appleton who specializes in dressing up like a warden and "busting" her clients for undersized...

I don't mean to minimize what EH has done but geez - there's some pitbulls here that just won't let it go. I've gotta wonder if the motivation is a dislike for the man,not a distaste for the infraction.
6/20/23 @ 10:32 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
I'm with Gillespie on this one. Paying a fine doesn't buy his cred back. Takes a lifetime to build one but he's lost it with me.
Popular Wisconsin fishing guide caught fishing out of season in Michigan photo by JamesD
6/19/23 @ 10:28 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Ok lol.     Too deep of thinking for me.
6/19/23 @ 7:54 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01
Carpio,
I would disagree with your analogy. 
You still have tomatoes. 
Posts that go off the subject of the thread are like Weeds that need to be pulled.
jmho.
6/19/23 @ 7:29 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Ya.  Like tomato plants branching off the same stem.    I’m part of the problem.
6/18/23 @ 3:41 PM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01
Boy,
Did this thread go off course.
Lol
6/18/23 @ 3:00 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
A fairly pervasive attitude in the world of tournament fishing and just one reason I keep my distance.  Poor sportsmanship at the VERY least!
6/18/23 @ 12:50 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
I disagree golespi.  10 % of the water holds 90% of the fish.  No sense in fishing unproductive water in a competition.   When in a tournament, anything goes within the law.  It's not unethical to fish the same school.  Some may not like it, but no one owns the water.  Haters gonna hate.  Good day sir.
6/12/23 @ 8:29 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
If you ccap the person in question, you will see there are many rules that he feels do not apply to him.  Just make sure you google the right person, from West Allis.  The other one has far worse things on his ccap...and they are not the same person.
6/11/23 @ 10:04 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Just because something is legal or "fair" doesn't make it ethical.  I tire of people excusing poor ethics.

And BTW, it was illegal for this same individual to fish for walleye out of season for which he fairly received a violation ticket.
6/11/23 @ 9:39 AM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
When money is on the line and no laws are being broken, all is fair.  Just the way it is.   I don't fish tournaments and wouldn't do it to anyone as I'm just a leisure fisherman.  Just another topic to debate and beat like a dead horse.  Lol.
6/9/23 @ 2:34 PM
wallstreet
User since 9/10/15
They call it combat fishing for a reason. Just life on the bay. Not saying it's right, but if the sonar shows fish it seems like they feel like they can go after them. Not my style. Glad we agree on that. 
6/9/23 @ 8:17 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Wallstreet,
You should have seen him when Eric cruised by the spot, saw the fish and spot locked on top of them and cut off the three other boats that were fishing that pod of fish.  He put his hat over his face and sunk low into his chair.

Which is very similar to what he did last year, in his boat, when he pulled up within half a cast of me and my wife as we were catching bass on a spot in northern Door County.  I put a bait right at the side of his boat, without hitting it, right where he was sitting and took a picture of him.

There are a lot of great guides in Door County.  I would not put those two in that category.  But if you've had good interactions with Bret, that is good to hear.  I've had great interactions with Dale S, though others have not.  It happens.
6/8/23 @ 9:56 PM
50yam167
User since 5/10/14
Can't stand the guy. Arrogant and annoying.
6/8/23 @ 9:42 AM
wallstreet
User since 9/10/15
Not sure Bret was that concerned about it. Posted it to his Facebook seeming pretty proud. That's just tournament fishing. Not a fan. And by the way, Bret is a good enough guy the few times I've ever talked to him. 
Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE