SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Pond near Plymouth Wi.

12/6/21 @ 2:59 PM
INITIAL POST
Pumpkinseed
PRO MEMBER User since 12/22/04

I’m looking for information on the pond that is just south of highway 23 and just east of highway 57. Is this public property? Are their fish in there, if so what kind of fish are in it?  Thanks!

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
2/28/22 @ 1:26 PM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

How weird is this!  Last night when I saw your question, the website showed me that so far there were zero replies, but today I see older replies that should have been there (I guess my computer must have glitched and halted loading the full page and I didn't know it.  That's happened to me before).   And obviously, I missed seeing this one on the satellite photos.

I see your pond on the satellite photos now.  That sure looks like a borrow-pit pond where they got the fill for constructing the nearby overpass (notice how commonly these kinds of dug ponds occur by highways adjacent to an overpass - the need for fill is why they come to be where they are).

Sorry I can't answer the rest of your question, but another poster got it right in saying that such ponds are normally within private property (outside of the highway right-of-way), and also that such ponds are typically quite shallow (just due to the economics of the earthwork involved).

2/28/22 @ 8:36 AM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09

no eric I think your thinking about the Plymouth mill pond

2/28/22 @ 12:12 AM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

Edit:  I assume you meant "east of Highway 67" (otherwise I have no clue).

There's info here:  https://www.lake-link.com/lakes/lake.cfm?LakeID=4522

This pond would also be listed on the DNR lakes website, but that info will be the same as the link posted above, because that's where the linked info came from (for anyone familiar with this stuff, the relationship is clear).   The DNR info says the maximum depth is 6 feet and that there are bass and northerns and panfish, but in my experience, the "standard" DNR info is 60 years or more out of date and does not account for more recent sedimentation from agricultural erosion, and because of that, nearly all small millponds are extremely shallow.  I didn't have to look far to verify that this is true for this pond.

https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/grants/largereports/LPL-1112-07-plan.pdf

In this report, you can see that the average depth is 1.8 feet (with much of it being shallower, of course, since 1.8 feet is just the average) and only a very small percentage of the pond has a depth of 3 to 4 feet.

"Is this public"?  All navagable water in Wisconsin is public if you can legally get a boat onto it.  My old DNR lake book says there is public access, but I didn't bother to check further.  Also in this case, if you want to put in something like a canoe, you could find some public land adjacent to the pond (the linked report mentions school grounds, and the right-of-way for that bridge crossing would be public land as well).  I think you will decide it isn't worth the effort, but read the report linked above and make up your own mind.

2/7/22 @ 4:40 PM
fischkopf
User since 3/3/11

I was told those ponds are all on private property

12/8/21 @ 5:13 PM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09

ya I dont think its a brooder pond also, but it has to be deep enough to get to the water table because it aint on no creek

12/8/21 @ 11:41 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Im 100% sure its not a hatchery pond, but the trail does run along it. looks fairly shallow and weedy

12/7/21 @ 6:32 AM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09

i dont know the truth behind it but I was told that that pond is a brooder pond for walleyes.

12/6/21 @ 5:30 PM
Pumpkinseed
PRO MEMBER User since 12/22/04

Thanks fish hound

12/6/21 @ 5:16 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

onX has it listed as a privately owned 13 acre parcel.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE