SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

polar vs thermal tip ups

1/8/22 @ 12:31 PM
INITIAL POST
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

Anyone else notice a significant more # of flags using polar vs thermal tip ups?  Over the years I seem to consistently have  3 to 4 times more flags with polar tip ups.  I have even traded them while out fishing and still get more with the polar!  I can see better hookups and other things after the strike or even the thermal casing a shadow that spooks fish in the shallows, it seems the polars just work better. 

Thoughts, opinions, smart answers?

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
2/27/22 @ 1:30 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

You can’t beat a BEAVER DAM tip up!       As far as those bumps and drops is concerned it’s true.    I always hold my tip ups down with snow or slush but only enough so they don’t jump or move when the flag is tripped.  I also removed my flags.  No sense advertising your hits.   And NEVER run for a flag!   Everyone on the lake will be watching you lol.     CARPIO 

2/27/22 @ 10:52 AM
szwampdonkey
User since 2/16/19

HT Polars getting more flags than smooth as silk Beaver Dams?  Now that’s hilarious.  There’s a reason Beaver Dams use an “ancient design” and many on the ice today are over 30 years old or more (as are mine) it’s because they just work, forever.  Let me know how many of you that like those cheaper plastic ones will still have those same plastic tip ups in 2052 cause my Beaver Dams will be 60 by then and still on the ice catching fish.  Good luck with those.

1/30/22 @ 11:42 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

got curious about the HT Polar, found a nice, simple video explaining features

https://youtu.be/aRaMzuzHHOk

1/29/22 @ 10:20 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

I use beaver dams with the hole cover if needed, but some of my buds use the thermals they always almost seam to get the first flag and in freezing temperatures the hole is more ice free than my beaver dams with the hole cover.

1/28/22 @ 11:57 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I have 8 HT Polar Therm tipups...never had a problem with them, so I've never changed to another brand! Beaver Dams are nostalgic and all, but at the end of the day it's an ancient design and they are $50/ea. and your hole is still not covered...but don't worry! For an additional $7-8/ea. you can purchase Beaver Dam foam hole covers to cover the hole! Now you are at nearly $60 each and for that I can nearly buy THREE Polar Therm tipups that stack nicely in a round bag or 5 gallon bucket! I also despise the fact that Beaver Dam has never put a handle on the bottom of the spool for reeling up line... 

Now, Frabill makes a thermal tipup that in my experience is an absolute JOKE...sure, they cover your hole and are insulated, but the flag stick is about 8" long and in deep snow or when the tipup is more than 30 yards away, they can be hard (or impossible) to see! The Polar Therm tipups I use have a telescoping flag stick that is over 3 feet tall...no problem seeing them from 100+ yards or in deep snow!

1/28/22 @ 2:56 PM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11

Tell ya one thing, those ORANGE polars are great when fishing near the over-served. Don’t get any run over by trucks, snow machines and the like. Plus easier to see from shack. I don’t get more hits on them than beavers or other brands though…

1/27/22 @ 4:57 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

I use the polars for panfish, perch, crappie.  If you are using them for big game maybe you have better luck because they trip easier from the weaker springs and  you dont get robbed of your bait. I get a lot of bump and dumps on the beaver dams and I think its from the stronger spring.

1/27/22 @ 4:14 PM
an_ders
User since 5/13/20

I cannot think of a valid reason that one would be better than the other if the presentation is identical. I don't think covering the hole would make a difference, especially if there's snow cover on the lake.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE