SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Planer Board Lights

4/15/21 @ 2:51 PM
INITIAL POST
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

Anyone else frustrated with trying to find Planer Board Lights that won't break the bank AND work?  At this point I'm just hoping to find anything that will last more than a couple of trips.  I have been using lights that look like a pen, Tea Lights, glow sticks...all fail sooner than later.  Anyone have a suggestion?  Anyone use either of these:

-Offshore Angler LED Deep Drop Lights  

-Attracting Fishing Light Deep Drop LED Fishing Light For Fishing With a Swivel

They look a little big, but could maybe make them work.  IDK.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
4/20/21 @ 10:56 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I agree crappy sticks should not be used, but there are some that are very bright and are not an issue.  Thing is most won't figure it out and use whatever they find at walmart.

Honestly lights shouldn't even be as big of an issue if people would be courteous with each other.  When passing a boat, its super easy to pull your spread in a little bit and then let it back out.  Anyone half way good at fishing should be able to handle that without much effort.  The issue is that many guys want to run wide spreads in congested areas and then not move them.  I see guys doing this on shorelines and they'll have one bait in 6' of water and on the other side they got a bait in 40'.  They setup in shallower water so I know that outside bait is close to 30' from bottom.  Then they wonder why we catch more fish using tighter spreads, our baits are in the appropriate depth...  Common thing I see, and then when the boats meet head on, one guy ends up in no man's land and is wasting their time because they have to do a bat turn and go way around.  If people were decent, everyone would have a better experience and have less interruptions.  I know it won't ever happen, people don't care.

4/16/21 @ 9:40 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I too use the glow sticks.  I drill two holes into the off-shore board.  Simply put in a wrist bracelet glow stick and bend it into the holes.  Good for one use, then throw them away.  Green and yellow work good.  Some pinks work well.  Purple seems to not work the best.

Super simple, affordable and they work just fine.

4/16/21 @ 7:33 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

We just get a bulk container of glow sticks.  Not all are equal though, some glow a lot brighter than others.  I forget the brand we use offhand.  They are cheap though, either buying batteries or sticks I figure.  At the end of the night the kids have a toy then too.  Won't accidentally leave them on and have a dead battery either.

We drill a hole in the top of the board about where the flag sticks up.  Small enough that the sticks are snug when going in.  We don't bend them, just one hole and let them stick straight up.

4/15/21 @ 10:37 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Picture of the batteries I'm using 

4/15/21 @ 10:34 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

I use the batteries from a thill night bright lighted bobber drill a small hole in top front of the board a little smaller than the batteries you can turn them on and off and remove them when not needed they come in red and green so you can arrange them to match your navigation lights that way others in the area know what direction they are approaching your spread from etc 

4/15/21 @ 7:33 PM
scott3206
User since 4/29/07

I know several people that use lighted nocks made for hunting arrows. Cut six inches off the nock end of an old hunting arrow, and install lighted nocks. Can be turned on and off. Last quite awhile, and the batteries can be replaced. Name brands to consider are alums-nocks and nocturnal’s. 

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE