SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Piscifun reels

4/28/23 @ 7:59 PM
INITIAL POST
Ferocious_Microbe
User since 5/7/18

So I live on Petenwell, there are a group of clicky guides getting paid to promote Piscifun reels on every social media report they post. And these guys post early and often…so I says to myself “ self, let’s try one of these reels”. Actually bought two ( your welcome guides). THESE REELS SUUUCK!!!! I fished them hard for two weeks and they literally ground to a halt. I had to break them both down, clean, oil and grease them        
and they still aren’t where they should be in terms of smoothness. Oh well, they got me…back to the Daiwa Ballistics.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts
6/10/23 @ 8:06 AM
-T Fish-
User since 2/12/23
If it helps, I don't feel a big difference between the Carbon X and the Carbon X II.  I have both versions.  Here's a quick review of the Carbon X 2000.

6/8/23 @ 10:43 AM
Geneva Kid
Geneva Kid
PRO MEMBER User since 1/1/06
I do both! For me it's dependent on the line and reel used. I say whatever trips your bail the best!
Tite Lines to all!
GenevaKid
5/16/23 @ 11:10 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
That's great Thomas,  you get them for $40 so keep using them,  I get it.  It's a reel that if it goes over the side you don't blink an eye.  i know how the guiding goes,  you aren't paying $200 for a Dawia or Shimano and handing it to a client.  it's basically babysitting adults much of the time.
5/15/23 @ 3:48 PM
Thomas Droste
Thomas Droste
User since 1/1/06
Almost every Piscifun I own is a Carbon XII. I do have a few original Carbons. The XII is lighter and does cost $75. I used $80 as a general cost comparison.
5/15/23 @ 7:31 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
Many younger fisherman these days do a lot of different things.  Like 3 guys in the front of a boat looking at a 12 inch garmin working the livescope.  Those are the guys that are "controlling or cutting off casts".   I've never had issues putting a bait where ?I wanted it.

I also sure don't believe everything i hear,  like $200 reels for $80....NOT.  I've tried Piscifun, the Carbon X is a $60 reel,  period.  You get what you pay for.

Every fisherman looks for something different.  My take is Piscifun are not for me.  they aren't light,  even the carbon x 2000 would be your typical walleye's size type reel.  it weighs like almost 8oz.  Carbon X....you think it should be light right?  8oz for that reel is a tank.  I like light.  You have to spend way more than $80 to get under 7oz.  For many the Carbon x might be exactly what you are looking for, but don't drink the kool aide thinking you are getting a true high (er) end reel,  cause that's the furthest from reality.  you are getting a reel that is not bottom of the barrel,  it's just one step up.  
5/15/23 @ 6:41 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07
It's just like anything else you buy. If it works good you will continue to buy if not, you will not buy again. My buddy bought a Piscifun reel ( not sure model) and it sounded like it had sand in it. He cleaned and lubed and it was a little better. Based off his experience I wouldn't buy one. If the reel was good based off his experience, I would of bought one.  I don't bother reading reviews anymore. Don't trust if it's a actual buyer or just a poser who actually never bought one..
5/14/23 @ 3:18 PM
Thomas Droste
Thomas Droste
User since 1/1/06
Hello everyone! Appears I'm late to the party! For those that don't know, I'm one of THOSE guides on Petenwell that use and promote Piscifun reels. For the record, neither myself or anyone in this area is getting paid to use these and we are not getting them for free.  Discounted? Yes. BUT, I used these reels before asking to come on board as a professional and promotional staff member. We're guides, not Bass Master Elite or National Walleye Tour pros. We are all professionals in the same field but choose different paths. Even a lot of the "pros" are still paying for their gear. The guides here that use these reels, those that do post and some that you may not even know about, own some of these reels. Anyone who follows myself or Jason Mata can see that we fish A LOT. Very likely, a lot more than just about anyone that has commented previously on this thread. These reels are holding up just fine. Neither myself or any of my clients have any complaints. The drags are just as smooth as any mid-range Daiwa or Shimano that I have owned and the entire reel is leaps and bounds better than any Pflueger reel I've owned. I made the switch from Daiwa to Piscifun. I have nothing bad to say about Daiwa or even the Shimanos I've owned. The reels held up fine to 20 plus days a month and 10 plus months a year for a long time. The reason I made the switch is because I can get a reel of equal or better quality, for a lesser price. I don't have to pay $130-$200 to get the same performance I can get from an $80 reel. 

Closing the bail with the turn of a handle feels very cumbersome to me. I have always closed by hand and have 100 percent control over where my bait lands and how much line is out without wrapping line or getting tangles.

This picture is just a little food for thought. The same can be said about many other tackle and gear brands that everyone uses. 

I'm not here to argue. I figured since myself and friends of mine and fellow guides were mentioned and called out I'd join in and try to help educate a little. I'm always open to conversation if anyone has any other questions that I can answer about how some things work behind the scenes in the industry. I don't know everything but having worked in the tournament industry for the last 3 years along with having tournament fished a few years and now guiding with a couple national sponsors behind me, I've witnessed and experienced a few things. 

Happy fishing and tight lines! 

Piscifun reels photo by walleyeguy007
5/7/23 @ 9:21 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
MP I do the same. Feather the cast and close the bail manually. I've been doing it for years, probably at least 20 now. I have Shimano's and Daiwa's. I love them both. I use the Shimano's for larger fish, mostly game fish. I use the Daiwa's for pannies as they are so light. Each to his own I guess. I have the one Piscifun reel I bought to replace a Shimano Sahara I use for vertical jigging in the river for eyes. So far it has handled some pretty decent fish including a couple of flatheads. Just little guys, but they pull really hard and do not tire quickly.
5/7/23 @ 3:18 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05
I have also heard that closing the bail manually will allow your reel to last longer...this has held true for me since changing how I close my bail. The Daiwas I mentioned earlier in this thread now *SOMETIMES* make it into a second season before the bail spring breaks! In all honesty, the reel lasting longer was a secondary benefit to more accurate casts and less slack in your line/line not blowing off your spool when your bait hits the water. Also, when done properly, your line will never end up wrapped around any moving parts (bail or handle) if you feather your casts and close the bail by hand. I can't give you the specific science, but it does work!
5/7/23 @ 12:09 AM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08
Some high end reels can't be closed by turning the handle (especially big saltwater ones). The manufacturers know that it wears them out. I certainly started out cranking to close the bail but changed to doing it with my hand when I found out that it's bad for the reel. With a little practice you'll gain control.
5/6/23 @ 7:51 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Thanks for your detailed explanation.   It shows that you care to educate people and I commend you.    I’m old school but that doesn’t mean that my mind is closed to new methods/ideas.   Times change.       I’ll continue doing what I e been doing because “ it works for me “   
5/6/23 @ 5:07 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
"Why would I want to start to closing the bail by hand?" 

Control, its that simple.....I can control my distance by palming the spool during the cast, I can tell when there is a loop in the line and not reel it in (as I catch it before its ever a problem).....its incredible how much more accurate and trouble-free fishing a spinning reel is when you are closing the bail manually...and then there is the abuse of the reel, you know its happening, as you just told me about your 2 expensive reels that gave way in precisely the manner I would expect....literally as a direct result of closing the bail with the reel.   A person closing the bail and controlling the line manually, can easily do things with a spinning reel that the average guy who doesn't would find nearly impossible.

Ever see people talk about how hard it is to control fluorocarbon line on a spinning reel?    Well, it's a total non-issue when closing the bail manually because the loops and twists become almost irrelevant.

"For 60:+ years I’ve NEVER seen anyone do it manually now all of a sudden I’m told by a few that this is wrong . Lol."

Ok, first off, people all over the world do things wrong for long periods of time, this is absolutely no indication that just because you have been doing something a long time that its the right, or even best way.  

Problem is that nobody tells you  because either no one cares enough to tell you, the people you fish with don't know any better and are making the same mistake, or the person is just so stuck in their ways that they refuse to change even when corrected....just because...so many just dont waste their time even trying to help as its just ignored..

And that's something we see all the time, in nearly every aspect of life.....people drive with 2 feet all the time, doesn't mean its the best or even the right way....ever go out and see someone using a spinning reel upside-down, reeling backwards?    You know what happens when you try to help them by correcting their behavior?   Same response you gave me.  Ever go the launch and watch someone back their trailer down doing everything wrong, and getting all frustrated while they block the ramp.....what happens when you try to help....they usually swear at you and tell you the know what they are doing, even when its crystal clear they don't.   As a result, most people don't even try to help.

Frankly you usually get a response JUST like the one you gave...Ive been doing it this way for years and its just fine, I dont need help.....and those are just a few examples of people doing things wrong and not caring or being convinced they have it all figured out because they have been doing something for so long...there are probably hundreds of other examples I could bring up.

And the reason only a few will tell you is simple, most people don't care if you are doing something wrong, or they wont bring it up simply because they know there will be resistance....i mean really, does the average guy care if you are a better fisherman?  Answer is no....and as i mentioned above, people generally don't try to help, simply because the person almost never listens and instead, chooses to argue or rationalize their ways....does that mean reeling upside down and backwards or driving with two feet is the best, or even the right way?

I will also add, you absolutely HAVE seen people doing it manually, you just failed to notice....probably because it's not something you ever thought of.

"I’m sure there’s a reason that some “expert “ decided that closing I manually was the proper way just like holding your jigging rod like you had some kind of impediment in your hand."

The reason is that that's how the reels were DESIGNED to be used.....experts in all fields tend to use their equipment the right way...ya know, cause they're experts....not because they made some random decision, they use things the right way to be the most efficient and effective.

"Monkey see, monkey do". 

Its not that, not even close, its that some people were taught wrong, not actually ever taught, or never corrected....trust me, the people closing the bail by hand aren't doing it just because they saw someone else doing it, its because they learned the right way.

Look, I really dont care how you choose to close your bail, but unlike most people, I AM willing to step forward and try to help, even though I know I will meet irrational resistance and my advice will likely be ignored.

You can look at this advice 2 ways.

1.  You can use the old, this is how I do it and it works fine for me....call me names in your head for trying to help...while making a decision to not get better and remain stuck in your ways....or...

2.  You can take the advice to heart, change your ways and become a better angler and be thankful a stranger was willing to go out of his way (in the face of almost inevitable resistance) to try and help you enjoy your fishing experience on a higher level....cause lets face it, fishing is more fun when you are more efficient and effective.

So it's your choice whether to say thanks for telling me what most wont, or you can tell me to go pound sand...either way, its no skin off my nose.....I just hate seeing people do things wrong, and I know when I make mistakes, i prefer someone tells me.

There is a distinct reason for the old adage, 10% of the people catch 90% of the fish...and it boils down to the little things....and this is indeed, one of those little things.

Best of luck with however you choose to take this info, I am not trying to fight you or offend you, I am only trying to help you be better at doing something you love to do.   Once you get used to opening and closing the bail manually, you will wonder why and how you did it your way for so long.
5/6/23 @ 2:53 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Why would I want to start to closing the bail by hand?  For 60:+ years I’ve NEVER seen anyone do it manually now all of a sudden I’m told by a few that this is wrong . Lol.   I’m sure there’s a reason that some “expert “ decided that closing I manually was the proper way just like holding your jigging rod like you had some kind of impediment in your hand.   Monkey see, monkey do.    
5/5/23 @ 11:18 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
"Desenox.  Who says you have to close the bail with your hand?"

Every reel manufacturer and every reel repairman I have ever talked to (and their advice is right in line with piscifun)... and anyone who fishes a spinning reel with any degree of skill.   Go watch pros, watch guides, watch just your local tournament guys...none of them EVER close the bail with the reel.    This is flat out abuse (according to manufacturers), not to mention it completely limits your control in literally every way.

And just for the record, its denesox...as in my name and the genus of the musky, combined.   I would think the esox would stick out like a sore thumb on a fishing forum....apparently not...lol   

"That’s a crock!"

Nope, that's just how its meant to be done.   Hey, you can hammer a nail in with the side of a hammer if you like, it will still pound a nail, but it doesn't mean you are using the hammer correctly.

"When my baits hit the water I want them to move immediately in most cases."

And this is like a million times easier when you are closing the bail with your hand as it gives you so much more control of literally, everything.
I suggest you just try it, and get used to doing it, it can only serve to improve your skills, not to mention increasing the longevity of your reels.

I will take those reels any day, they have clearly succumbed to the abuse and that's why the bail isnt closing all the way....it would literally NEVER be an issue if you closed it with your hand....and you wouldn't have damaged 2 expensive reels that have a reputation as one of the most reliable, long lasting spinning reels ever made.   Just sayin'  

5/5/23 @ 5:44 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08
There's a reason why it's so easy to become a rep for them vs the more tried and true brands... I'm a Shimano guy and have had very few issues with their reels despite abusing the heck out of them.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE