MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Pike fishing - no closed season?

4/16/23 @ 2:52 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

What do you think of having a year round pike fishing season? Catch and release only from 1st weekend of March to the opener in May?

Bass has been catch and release during the “closed” season for a few years now, and despite some concerns, has gone well it appears.

I can’t see a pike catch and release opportunity for the months of March and April having many drawbacks. And it would be good for bait shops and offer more opportunities for anglers. Thoughts?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 49 posts
5/24/23 @ 10:54 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Many lakes would benefit from a catch and release pike season.  Some would not. Many lakes would benefit from a no size limit and some have already received this rule in SE Wisconsin, but some have gone the other direction and gotten more strict on the sizes.  In general, I'm a fan of slot limits like one fish over 40 inches, none between 32 and 40 inches.  But this wouldnt work on every lake.  Heck, many lakes don't even produce 40 inch pike! Problem with the bass c&r rule has been catching other species of gamefish while fishing for bass (small lures, larger rules, don't seem to matter on the Madison chain).  Catching way more pike than bass the last few years.  I say open it up to pike but, even though walleye are caught accidently as well, leave the walleye closed. Heck, I wish walleye up north would have a couple extra weeks to allow finishing spawning before being able to fish for those.  first weekend in May, some lakes are just opening up way up north!
5/19/23 @ 11:53 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
Most regs are in place for the sustained benefit of the whole fishery after many years of study from experts in their field. I fish a Minnesota lake that has a large size limit on pike that was debated by many before put in place.The benefit was an improvement in the size of all the fish caught. Peak predators keep other fishes healthy eliminating the runts and injured. The catch and release of muskies was questioned years back when too many big dead fish were found washed up on the shores of Green Bay. Big pike are a great resource and just plain cool to catch and see.
5/18/23 @ 2:21 PM
Lunkerhunt85
User since 5/10/14
Good question. There has to be more meat on a 20" pike than a 6" gill lol
5/18/23 @ 7:07 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
Just like up north, 5 daily limit any size. Or, you could have 1 over 30? Pike are more precious in southern zone than up north. Some people like Suspended Muskie have mastered finding the big pike up north. 
How big does a pike have to be for pickling? 24”? Fat 22” 
Hammer handles are useless unless you use them for bait. 
5/17/23 @ 2:45 PM
Lunkerhunt85
User since 5/10/14
Pike are extremely prolific spawners. Besides pike spawn extremely early. Sometimes under the ice. Most incidentally caught pike in the bass c&r season are caught much later than their spawn lake late March /April. Madison chain is so full of hammer handles I wish they would go open season year round like cats and drop length limits and increase the limit to 5. Lastly pike aren't fragile sensitive fish. Lol. 
5/17/23 @ 12:51 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
OFD…You might want to get yourself a C&R mat. It’s something that’s quite common amongst Carp fishermen overseas. The picture below is of the ones that my buddy and I use for ice fishing. They do save any fish from the harsh conditions of the ice and shorelines. We either use a rubber net or cradle for open water fishing.
Pike fishing - no closed season? photo by Zmaniac
Pike fishing - no closed season? photo by Zmaniac
5/17/23 @ 11:00 AM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
If nothing else I’ve learned something here.  I apologize for my actions.  These fish are incidental catches while fishing for other species, ie SM & Walleye.  My jest was to indicate that they can b caught & released with no harm done, I now know how to better handle these fish. These fish r being caught from shore & do flop around a lot but I’ll do a better job of unhooking them & getting them back into the water.  My bad. 
5/17/23 @ 8:15 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
I agree Gillespie and to your point, the catch & release does give people the opportunity to catch these fish but at what cost. Sure you get them in and release them right away to see them swim away, but what does that do to the fish long term. Fish handling is the key to whether or not that fish will survive long term and continue on through its lifespan. Look at the way the Sturgeon fishing is conducted out west. These fish are caught and released (multiple times for some) and never leave the water. After the hard fought battle they are eased to the shoreline, measured and released right away. As mean and tough as the Pike are, they’re still a delicate creature that can be lost if certain precautions aren’t taken. The lack of education on this subject is what makes the whole idea of C&R a problem.
5/16/23 @ 9:28 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
The picture of the dry and dirty pike laying on the ground which was later released only reinforces my opinion that I don't care for catch and release seasons, especially during spawning.  I like the idea of protecting  sensitive species from all forms of disturbance prior to and during their spawning times.  Then have a harvest season the rest of the time.  I have no doubt the pike swam away, but not every released fish that swims away lives.

Southern states do have year round open seasons but they don't have many populations of what I consider sensitive species like walleye, pike, muskellunge, or trout.  I like living and fishing in the north........we have it better in my opinion!
5/16/23 @ 6:52 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
Gotchya
5/16/23 @ 6:30 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
It’s not the time out of the water that’s the problem. It’s laying in the grass and removing the slime coat from its skin. Same reason you’re not supposed to let them flop around in the boat or lay on the ice. There’s no doubt that the fish swam away. They’re pretty hardy fish, but by removing the slime coat that fish is susceptible to disease. It’s been well documented and written about if you care to expand on your fishing knowledge

?https://www.nodakoutdoors.com/threads/northern-pike-slime.184371/???
5/16/23 @ 6:21 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
Z, trust me that fish absolutely fine when I released him in fact he left me with face wash when he took off from the shoreline . Released another 1 today without any issue as well. I’m fully capable of knowing how to release these fish, knowing full well time is of the essence. But thanks 
5/16/23 @ 12:45 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
Laying that fish in the grass is not doing that fish any favors. If you’re advocating for catch & release, then at least handle the fish correctly to minimize the harm it does.
5/15/23 @ 4:03 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
Caught a few minutes ago.  Put up a heck of a fight.  Artificial lure was very easily removed which lends credence to holding a ?C&R for pike during the closed ?game fish ?season. 
Pike fishing - no closed season? photo by OneFineDay
5/15/23 @ 6:46 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17
Hey Carpio, your not disagreeing with me, I think its just common sense to protect species during the spawn.  Just passing on what the DNR biologist told me. I made the point that a fish harvested in July may or may not effect reproduction because there was no guarantee that fish wouldn't die of natural causes prior to the spawn.  Fish harvested during the spawn definitely impacts reproduction because that fish survived to the breeding season. He wouldn't budge on his "a dead walleye is dead walleye" doesnt matter when you catch it.  Maybe there is science behind what he is saying who knows.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 49 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE