MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Panfish slots

7/18/21 @ 1:09 AM
INITIAL POST
Dinner plate keeper
Dinner plate keeper
User since 3/14/11

As a frequent ice fishing angler. We as sportsman better start being wise on panfish harvest. I have seen much decline in lakes that produce very well. 

Does anyone have opinions on WI going to a panfish slot size limit. Also lowering bag limits on certain waters. I have seen and fished other states that have done this change. It improves a system and its potential. 

Anyone else see lack of mature panfish in lakes?

Displaying 16 to 30 of 41 posts
7/23/21 @ 8:49 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

My wife and I enjoy eating 6-7” gills!   Scale,cut off the head and pan fry!    We easily each eat 8-10 of these “ dinks” per meal each.    Anything much larger than that has an off taste.    When our kids come over though they must be filleted ( 7”+).    CARPIO 

7/23/21 @ 8:26 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I agree with the 'limit' people.  They act like its a measure of their manhood or something.  If the fish aren't as big, they keep them anyways to get that magical limit.  Then they can tell all their buddies.

I used to be that way myself when I was younger, then I guess I grew out of it.  I also fish a lot so don't need a limit of fish each time.  Now I just keep a handful of quality fish, enough for a meal.  That looks better to me than a limit of dinks.  Not that all limits are dinks, but you know what I mean.

I fish some 10/10/5 lakes with a limit of 25 total.  I do like those, it prevents people from loading up on 1 species and typically you have to fish multiple spots to find different ones.  Guys can't just park on the gills and hammer out 25 that way.  Then if you are a person who doesn't fish a lot and would like a limit, you still have the option.

But like was said, every lake is different.  Some are fine with the 25 limit now, some aren't.  Some will be stunted, some won't.  Definitely can't be a blanket rule.

7/23/21 @ 7:34 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

While working an invasive program a couple years ago it was apparent that the same people came day after day fishing gills when they were on a bite. That along with the "I got my limit" people whom are keeping 5 and 6 inch fish to do so, I believe generally that the problem is with local anglers draining the waters of quality fish. This is just my observations from being at a launch most days one summer. Electronics also have a big impact on the panfish decline, especially cell phones when ice fishing. When gills are hitting just watch how many guys are calling their fishing friends who show up minutes later.

7/22/21 @ 8:21 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

Carpio, only problem I will be fish food by then.??

7/22/21 @ 6:07 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

Relax GRANDAD......it will work out....let the real experts handle it...unless they are swayed from the keyboard experts....then panic

7/22/21 @ 8:39 AM
Carpio
Carpio

Gob   Yes you are correct if the report is correct.   I guess you and I will have to wait 50 years to see how my prediction turns out.           CARPIO 

7/22/21 @ 7:54 AM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

Caprio, thought all reports is that population in U.S. is in decline ?

7/22/21 @ 7:30 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

Svit, That would mean I can’t do my stringer mount with all 10+ Gills? Lol I’m just in the lake by lake regulations Group. They’re all a little different and always will be. If different regulations come out, I will abide by them. I understand the different opinions on the subject and believe it’s good for people and the fishery to have opposing views. 

7/22/21 @ 5:44 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

10 fish limit, slot size determined buy local lake biology’s! Recreational fishing cannot survive now with filling your freezer or feeding the neighborhood!just look at the Whitebass situation of Winnebago with COOLERS FULL OF FISH, AND THE NO SIZE LIMIT WITH WALLEYE. SYSTEMS CANNOT STAND THE EVER INCREASING PRESSURE !

7/22/21 @ 12:05 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I think slots would be fine. Only keep gills 7-9 inches. It would make one of my buddies very, very angry. But me, I'm fine with it. Maybe one over 10" for a mount is reasonable. He would fillet that 10+ incher. I'd bet a paycheck on that. 

7/21/21 @ 6:15 PM
Carpio
Carpio

EVENTUALLY there will have to be a lottery system to fish, boat,etc.      The waters will not be large enough for the huge population in 50 years or so.     Can you picture 1000 boats in line waiting to launch on Delevan?    CHAOS!       Lol.      CARPIO 

7/21/21 @ 5:55 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

you city people give me a headache....just stay home....please

7/21/21 @ 5:20 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Totally understand but I was talking about a group of 5 of us not me myself still way to much imo just to clarify. I should've explained it better I was just trying to show why 25 a day was to  many. And 14 7/8 you exactly correct on the regs.

7/21/21 @ 4:43 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

I just about fell into that boundary waters trap, it could be possible/not probable for a 100+ back in the day..

badgerstatehunter....I quit reading after..."or you could do what I do"....irrelevant to me

7/21/21 @ 2:08 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

BB if you fished the Mississippi under old rules, the most you could take home would be 50 unless you were eating them as you went.  Now the most you could take home is 30 on Mississippi.  Possession is 2 times daily bag.   If people would follow the possession limit the fish limit issue wouldn't nearly be as big a deal.  Or more could do what I do, and never freeze fish.  If you're not planning on eating throw them back.  

Displaying 16 to 30 of 41 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE