MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Panfish slots

7/18/21 @ 1:09 AM
INITIAL POST
Dinner plate keeper
Dinner plate keeper
User since 3/14/11

As a frequent ice fishing angler. We as sportsman better start being wise on panfish harvest. I have seen much decline in lakes that produce very well. 

Does anyone have opinions on WI going to a panfish slot size limit. Also lowering bag limits on certain waters. I have seen and fished other states that have done this change. It improves a system and its potential. 

Anyone else see lack of mature panfish in lakes?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 41 posts
7/26/21 @ 7:05 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

you kids are on your own now....if you want to discu/argue send me a message, if one can figure out how to do it....or I can figure out how to respond.....I will be busy for a few more fish fries coming up...peace and best of luck

7/26/21 @ 6:45 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

heck Bod I would buy you a beer if I thought you would buy one back...but what you posted doesn't apply to us...HERE....is all I am saying....wish you well...seriously.

had fish tonight/taters cooked on the grill....(17 btw...ok that was two too many with all the taters)....nice breakfast in the morning.

might panic....that was it....you boys might want to get the binoculars out and start being vigilant....I will be on the hunt now

7/26/21 @ 8:12 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I appreciated the morning laugh regarding my dinks comment.  Wasn't expecting that, I assumed everyone has a size they consider a dink.  No where did I say what I consider to be a dink, but a few of you guys responded almost as if you got offended.  Was that your subconscious speaking LOL.

7/25/21 @ 9:44 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
User since 1/9/21

Prop it was a simple comment & observation based on my own experience, and it seemed relevant to this thread. Dont know where in there I said it should be done in WI. I could care less what others do with their legally caught fish. Dont know how you read anymore into it than that, but my guess is you just enjoy stirring the pot. It's a shame this site lets that kind of garbage go on. It could be a great outdoor site, if it got rid of the garbage so the adults could just talk fishing.

7/25/21 @ 7:46 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

well Bod....all I can say is continue to fish "down south ALOT"....and leave the rest of us alone....works for you...don't try to change it for us....PANFISH....first it was the bass, man catch and release was drilled into our head....heck they taste great!...walleye over a certain size is nasty....Really?...just depends on who has the agenda at the time and is pushing it...kick back, catch your fish and enjoy them....be ready for some narc to turn you in....no problem...they check your fish....ask the warden if there is any repercussion on your part to meet your accuser...no such thing as anonymous in this day and age.

7/25/21 @ 2:47 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

Those lakes down south with crappie size limits are all huge resavuearsars.(spelt wrong.

7/25/21 @ 9:15 AM
HERO547
User since 8/22/08

On the lakes with the 14 inch size limit, I have no trouble getting nice size pan fish. It is all the catch and release of the bass that is starting to reduce the amount of pan fish. On a lake like Delavan. There are 40 thousand mature game fish in there. If they each only eat one bluegill a week. That is 2 million a year. You now see the conversation department starting to manage some lakes to reduce the bass population. Some lakes are no size limit. Some are slots. You can keep 5 under 12 or over 16 inch's. I have payed close attention to it, and it seems to be working. I am getting nice pan fish from lakes with new size limits. I have said for years. They should manage some lakes for different types of fisherman.

7/25/21 @ 8:25 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

WI state record fish for reference

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Fishing/recordfish/hookline.html

7/25/21 @ 8:18 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

I agree with prop. I really don’t understand people who basically “Tell” you how many fish are in a Wisconsin fish fry!!! Lol, it doesn’t get any better than that. They would pass out if they witnessed a fish fry of my relatives at Mom and Dads house!! 

7/25/21 @ 8:12 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I just might have to reconsider my thoughts on panfish slot limits but on crappie only.   Unlike gills , seeds etc they can grow to an impressive size to almost 20” & 6# in a fairly short time.  If you catch one over 17” you say WOW!  They are impressive.  My 2 best were almost 17 1/2” And I lost another by the net on the Mississippi that I know was at least18”.    I’ll leave this thread now for others to mull over.    CARPIO 

7/24/21 @ 10:04 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
User since 1/9/21

I dont know about slot limits, however I have fished crappie ALOT down south where size limits, 10-11", exist. To me, at least on the lakes I have fished, they work fairly well. You can still take home a limit of some nice sized fish if you know what your doing. I dont care for a one size fits all approach though. I have fished lakes in the south with a size limit where it was rough finding a keeper, like 1 or 2 out of 20.  Ideally the DNR could manage alot more lakes individually. I'd love to see more $$ go to actual fish management then whatever else the DNR wastes it on.

7/24/21 @ 7:25 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04

Amen prop buster! 

7/24/21 @ 4:52 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

sorry....I got caught up in the moment and my fingers just kept walking....what I meant to say is a slot limit for panfish is probably the dumbest idea I have ever heard...my opinion of course

7/24/21 @ 4:33 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

"10 of anything is more than enough for a meal"....for YOU maybe

when I get the fresh fish urge it is fish and fried taters...period...last fishing adventure I brought home 19 perch/gills, cleaned them and cooked them on the grill...was about right for my wife and I....I don't double dip, actually don't know anybody that does and if you are in my boat you won't be over your limit....your possession limit is not MY problem. If I freeze fish there are 10 (big ones to a bag, 15 smaller ones)....at least I know if I have to open two bags.

was at the Chippewa Flowage for a week a while ago (with another guy)....had a great time, went out every day fishing...walked to the fish cleaning house every day, sometimes with 15 fish, sometimes a couple more..fried fresh fish twice....18 btw....one of the guys in a neighboring cabin said.."man, you have to have your limit by now"...we weren't even close, matter of fact we didn't take home our possession limit so seriously you people need to take your eyes off the binoculars and mind your own damn business because nothing is ever as it seems....to YOU

I liken it to a person/couple that pay big bucks for a buffet and the first place them/not me goes to the salad bar...are you crazy?

7/24/21 @ 6:21 AM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

I like the 10 per specie 25 total limits. 10 of anything is more than enough for a meal. You're still going to have people double dipping. See that especially on the ice. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 41 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE