MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

o-ring or not to o-ring on lures?

2/6/20 @ 8:44 PM
INITIAL POST
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

I was told that all hardbaits, crankbaits etc. should always have an  o-ring to tie on to. If  the bait does not come with one when new, you should put one on.  Thoughts?

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
2/16/20 @ 9:01 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

good topic... JamesD with quality information as usual

2/15/20 @ 3:18 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

If it was a weedless lure I would agree with you,but a crankbait with a lip and two or three hooks hanging down weedless they are not.

2/15/20 @ 1:00 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

The cleaner you keep the eyelet the less chance there is of picking up weeds etc.   CARPIO 

2/15/20 @ 12:02 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I replace all round split rings with oval on casting plugs,on trolling plugs like flicker shads I use duo snaps.The only time I do not do this is with floating raps that I fish on top.

2/14/20 @ 8:26 PM
Carpio
Carpio

Absolutely!  Take off the split ring first! CARPIO 

2/13/20 @ 10:41 AM
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

JamesD - thanks so much for that

2/11/20 @ 11:28 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I'm with Mr. Carpio on this one. The second pic has a split ring that was pulled out to the point where I almost lost the fish. The first pic shows a duo-lock snap, oval split ring, and what might be called a quick clip. The snap gets the nod for most of my fishing. Sometimes I just take the ring off the nose of the lure. Other times I leave it on but snap directly to the nose. When pike smash off hooks on a plug, I put new ones on with the oval split rings.

2/8/20 @ 9:47 AM
Carpio
Carpio

Use a Kwik Klip.    On an O ring your line can move down into the part of the ring that forms it and therefore can weaken the line.   I have the Klips on all of my cranks and jigging raps.   You’re less likely to catch less weeds etc because it’s less bulky than a snap/snap swivel.  CARPIO 

2/8/20 @ 9:14 AM
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

oops - yes split ring

2/6/20 @ 9:19 PM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Do you mean split ring ? 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE