MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Northern Wisconsin Small Rivers

8/5/20 @ 4:31 PM
INITIAL POST
Elliott Jacobson
Elliott Jacobson
User since 1/25/17

Does anyone else take advantage of the great river fishing in northern Wisconsin? There’s incredible multi-species opportunity! Smallmouth, largemouth, 5 species of sucker, walleye, pike, musky, catfish, and sturgeon. These small rivers offer everything a large river would, and most of the time, you get them to yourself! Here’s a few videos I’ve put together on these rivers. https://youtu.be/1hLDM5MX1e0

https://youtu.be/FFVTm9P6Eqo

https://youtu.be/LHlHk01HthU

https://youtu.be/QOL-wgT--aM

https://youtu.be/rAnZamwdCZk

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
8/14/20 @ 11:52 AM
cgreene
User since 8/4/20

Awesome catch! Thanks for sharing your videos. I love fly fishing in the river. In my years of experience, Ive found the hobby to be a lot more fun and easy if you have the best waders. Its makes moving around the river a lot easier. If anyone is looking to get the best waders, you should discover more here.

8/12/20 @ 1:12 PM
Elliott Jacobson
Elliott Jacobson
User since 1/25/17

Here’s another video from last week on the rivers in northern Wisconsin. Plenty of smallmouth on topwater, and a musky strike at the boat! 

https://youtu.be/xNmxVqgT9ws 

8/11/20 @ 9:58 PM
Elliott Jacobson
Elliott Jacobson
User since 1/25/17

I’d agree with that. Even in lakes, where water flows in is always a money spot. Fish in rivers seem to be much more consistent biters regardless of water levels and weather. 

8/8/20 @ 10:42 AM
Elliott Jacobson
Elliott Jacobson
User since 1/25/17

Fishloveme, I definitely agree that fish in rivers in the heat of summer are much more eager to bite. However, I do think that part of that may also stem from the low fishing pressure rivers receive. 

8/7/20 @ 6:14 PM
Shad
User since 8/27/01

With the heat and humidity we are planning on exploring another river in the north that looks interesting and one never knows what you will find and the adventure is priceless.  Maybe my lab will dump us over again, time till tell(lol).

8/7/20 @ 5:22 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

My friend fishes a lot of rivers in the summer as well.  Mostly in Southern Wisconsin, but he travels north sometimes.  Not even sure where this river is, but it had some nice fish in it.  Rivers in the heat of the summer the fish don't seem to care, they're always biting!  When I lived in the SE part of the state while attending college I used to fish rivers a lot more often.  Near Madison where I live now there's not as many of these nearby, but I'd love to get back into putting a pair of tennis shoes on and walking the river again!

8/7/20 @ 9:28 AM
Elliott Jacobson
Elliott Jacobson
User since 1/25/17

Yeah I definitely find the rivers to be more consistent. Not to mention, they’re mostly undeveloped, so like you said, you see a lot more nature than on the bigger lakes. 

8/7/20 @ 7:48 AM
Shad
User since 8/27/01

As lake fishing has been poor, we have searched out rivers in the north and the fishing is more stable and variety is great, scenery and wildlife is second to none.  From Grouse, to Deer, Bear, Eagles, fresh berries and a few fresh fish, simply priceless!  If you enjoy the places you find, keep them to yourself as people have and will ruin this Wonderful world! 

8/6/20 @ 11:43 AM
Elliott Jacobson
Elliott Jacobson
User since 1/25/17

I’d agree they’re not small in water volume, but a lot of places, they’re quite narrow. We fish several other small rivers in the area as well that are much smaller than those two. 

8/6/20 @ 11:20 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

I wouldn't describe the St. Croix as a "small river" nor the Namekagon. These are quite large watersheds and robust rivers.

8/6/20 @ 11:14 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

We pass by a lot of places up that way I'd love to spend a few days checking out on our way up to Leech Lake. If I ever need to drive myself, I'll definitely stop when/where I can. 

8/6/20 @ 9:24 AM
Elliott Jacobson
Elliott Jacobson
User since 1/25/17

Absolutely! The area I normally fish is northwest Wisconsin. In Washburn, Sawyer, Douglas, and Burnett counties. I always thought that river smallies would run a bit smaller than lakes which they do, but those 18+ inch fish are incredibly common. We hooked into several 4 pound fish last week! And my favorite part is that you always have a shot at a musky or big pike. 

8/6/20 @ 8:29 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

As I'm passing by them, I always wonder what lurks beneath the surface. Unfortunately, I rarely have an opportunity to check them out, though. 20+ years ago I remember being up north and had a boat issue so we were just driving around. Ran across the spot where the Manitowish River runs close to 51 and stopped for a few casts and got a 19 1/2" smallie on a topwater. That was pretty cool. I remember thinking how awesome it would be to wade that stretch because it looked like there would be a fish by every rock!

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE