Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Northern Wisconsin Lakes/Terrain/Weather in summer

6/15/18 @ 9:17 AM
ORIGNAL POST
promopete
User since 7/22/11

Having spent many years all across northern WI, I've noticed that, in general, the lake temps and summers are cooler in the "Northwoods" area of Iron, Vilas, Onieda, Forest, & Price counties vs the "Indianhead" part of northwest WI in Sawyer, Douglas, Washburn, & Burnett counties.

I think this is due to two things....for the most part, the terrain in the Northwoods area is mostly hardwoods and rocks. But move west and it starts to change to sand and pine trees. I would say the Hayward area is a mix, but once you get to US 53, it's mostly sand and pine trees heading west, which I believe makes things warmer.

Also, a NW wind is common, and north-central WI is far more likely to be impacted by a NW wind blowing across Lake Superior than in areas to the west. Whether that's lake Superior cooled temps, or just an increase in clouds, it believe it leads to cooler summers and cooler lake temps than areas to the west.

What have you observed?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/25/18 @ 9:18 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Plenty of sand in Vilas and Iron county. So sandy that soil taxonomists have formally labeled it Vilas Sand. So sandy that after 6 inches of rain there are no standing puddles the next day. So sandy that homes dont need a sump system.  So I dont know why this would be different than counties to the west

6/25/18 @ 8:08 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

You’re right.  The rocky area is actually the very southern end of the Canadian Shiled.

6/25/18 @ 2:32 PM
promopete
User since 7/22/11

Yes. Winter kill is from lack of sunlight penetrating the ice to begin photosynthesis which creates oxygen. Again, NW winds over Lake Superior are going to increase the clouds, and the snowfall over North Central WI...both of which cut down on the sunlight. Just my own theory.

6/22/18 @ 6:25 AM
Batman1
User since 1/23/09

Great observations and they make sense. Do you think this has any affects on the oxygen levels since the lakes in the NW have far less freeze outs and die offs in winter than the North central area?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.