Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Northern Wisconsin lakes with eelpout

12/3/20 @ 11:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Are there any lakes in northern Wisconsin (Vilas/Oneida-ish) that have fishable eelpout populations? Lakes like Trout and Black Oak seem like they should given they have lake trout and are deep and rocky, but my book of lake maps/info doesn't even have a listing for them. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

12/4/20 @ 10:31 AM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Believe it or not most deep clear lakes in Northern Wisconsin have them. If you read the DNR fish surveys they find them on many different lakes. The only issue is that they are typically quite small in size with low populations. 

Black oak, Trout, and Fence likely have the best populations. Pelican lake also. But even then targeting them would be very difficult. Unlike say the lakes in Northern Minnesota where they are quite plentiful. Those who have patterned them in Wisconsin generally do not share, trust me on that.

In Wisconsin your best bets are Lake Winnebago, Door County or Sheboygan harbor.

12/4/20 @ 8:52 AM
PikePro33
PikePro33
User since 2/8/10

On the black oak page someone posted a while back about catching pout.   They even had some pics.   Its on my bucket list of things to try up there.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
Advertise here
Minn Kota Ultra: Proven in the real world. Year after year. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Ultrex
Mojo Ice gets a face-lift for 2021; sporting a new carbon dust blank and flat finish reel seat. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - NEW Mojo Ice Rods
Built for the roughest conditions with more options and safety first and foremost in the design. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ICE FORCE - NEW Strikemaster Pro Suit
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.