Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

New Wisconsin boating law in effect

4/7/21 @ 7:57 AM
ORIGINAL POST
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

Reminder to everyone with a boat - new law went into effect April 1 regarding kill switch lanyards.

"Specifically, Section 8316 of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2021 passed by Congress requires individuals operating recreational vessels less than 26 feet in length with an engine capable of 115 pounds of static thrust (3 hp) or more to use ECOS links. However, this law applies when the primary helm is not in a cabin and when the boat is operating on plane or above displacement speed. Situations in which an ECOS link would not be required include docking, launching and loading on a trailer, trolling and operating in no-wake zones."

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 19 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/3/21 @ 4:41 PM
Leechster
Leechster
USER SINCE 1/22/21

I can see using this device if racing, going really fast, or pulling water skier. Other than that, no. I personally know 0 people that use them. They can hang in boat in case u either go to federal waters or big inland lakes. 

5/3/21 @ 9:47 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER SINCE 2/16/04

I think Mr. Swede simply wanted to give a heads up about a safety feature that many boats have but not everyone uses. I posted about the elderly resort goer I know who flipped backwards out the back of his new boat last year after goosing it for the first time. He didn't have the kill switch on his wrist and had a really hard time getting back in his boat. Federal waters or not, the idea is to prevent drowning. Traffic fatalities mention it when those not wearing seat belts are ejected from a crashed vehicle. Boat accidents will have a note about no PFD and a lack of wrist lanyard found on the sunken corpse.

4/8/21 @ 2:18 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

Interesting Q&A on their webpage.  Here's one that might apply to many:

Q18. My 22-foot boat (1995 model) had an Engine Cut-Off Switch but it was removed by a prior owner many years ago, leaving a hole at the helm. Do I need to repair it and use it?
A18. No. However, the Coast Guard recommends that your repair the switch and use it when operating on plane or above displacement speed.

4/8/21 @ 12:38 PM
Chippman
USER SINCE 5/5/06

Which Waters Are Federally Controlled?

Waters on which vessels must observe federal requirements, including VDS requirements; these waters include:

• Coastal waters
  • The Great Lakes (Lake Michigan and Lake Superior)
  • Territorial seas
  • Bodies of water connected directly to one of the above, up to a point where the body of water is less than two miles wide, including the Mississippi River, and portions of the Wisconsin, St. Croix, Wolf, and Fox Rivers

• So quite a bit of waters in Wisconsin but if you only do small inland lakes your ok.

4/8/21 @ 11:05 AM
oncebitten
oncebitten
USER SINCE 12/7/17

Fish

That's the way I understood it

4/8/21 @ 10:57 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

Stitzo, I haven't looked at the law yet in detail, but doesn't it say somewhere in the law that all new boat/motors after 2020 must have the kill switch, but that you must use the kill switch if your motor already has one?  My 2000 Mercury 50 HP, for example, has a kill switch on it.  I know cause I spent 15 minutes one day trying to start my motor, then realized my son got in my boat and played with it, flicking the switch down to off! I didn't have the little curly rope attached to it at the time though.  But anyhow, my understanding is this, as of now, only applies to federal waters anyway, so for now, except when I use my boat on the Wolf River I won't worry about using it.

4/8/21 @ 7:56 AM
Paranoid Percher
USER SINCE 8/19/18

This has nothing to do with Wisconsin law get your stuff straight or dont post lies

4/7/21 @ 9:21 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

Pimply the article you site is from the coast Guard.  They have jurisdiction on federal waters not state waters.  So technically they were factual and correct.  

If you read the boating regs similar laws apply to other required equipment such as an airhorn on the same federal waters but not on state waters.  It is confusing since no reg pamphlet or publication claims that the law is enforced by only certain types of officers and will be ignored by other types of officers. 

4/7/21 @ 11:46 AM
Stitzo
USER SINCE 6/15/01

Yeah, I had to peel back the same onion layers that oncebitten did in order to find the grandfather clausing. Ridiculous. 

All the various “reporting” of it makes it sound like it’s pretty much a Chicken Little one size fits all situation. Shoot, unless I missed something, even the USCG page doesn’t address it as only being applicable to craft BUILT after 1-1-20, until you get to the Q&A #9. 

Ridiculous. Law goes into effect 4-1-21. Only pertains to units built after 1-1-20. And it’s reporting is just very partial and limited truth that creates confusion & consternation for a whole lot of folks. 

4/7/21 @ 11:14 AM
oncebitten
oncebitten
USER SINCE 12/7/17

PimplySwede 

Thanks for the website search.

I scrolled down to the 

Engine cut-off switch-FAQ

And got the answers to these questions,   for me at least

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 19 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.