Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

New to area

12/14/14 @ 9:44 PM
ORIGNAL POST
markesmith
User since 12/5/14
We are new to northwoods area and looking forward to enjoying some ice fishing. Just need a little help like best places to fish in Vilas county? Looking to panfish what is biting best where? We have never ice fished so not sure deep water or shallow water weeds or no weeds have tried few times with no success. Please help us out. Thank you

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/17/14 @ 7:03 PM
markesmith
User since 12/5/14
We would like too thank everyone for there input

12/17/14 @ 2:37 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
If you have never ice fished before, there are probably things you still need to buy. Buy these things from a local bait shop and explain your situation. They will most likely help you hoping that you become a repeat costomer. But if all you are buying is a tin of waxes understand you might get what you pay for.

12/17/14 @ 11:15 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
Honestly if you have no idea where to go, look where others are fishing and just stay a respectable distance away. Many times large weed beds will have a shack cluster on them, sort of giving them away. Look at a lake map too to get ideas. When I'm scouting I punch a few holes, use the vexilar and jig a bit. If no fish in a few minutes, move on until I find some. A few minutes is stretching it, more like a minute or so. If nothing is by my jig right away, I keep moving. A guy can waste too much time in one hole with no fish around, if they are there you should at least mark them fairly quickly. Even without a vexilar I'd still only give a hole a minute or two. I never set up a shack unless I know I'm on fish. I wait on my tip ups too. If you set everything up right away and there are no fish, you wasted a lot of time.

12/17/14 @ 6:16 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I agree with dsinwi, too general. If you're on this sight, use it. Look at all the lakes in your area. There's a lot of them. I'm sure they all have pan fish. Topographical maps will help too. Do a little homework, and I'm sure it will pay off. Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck. You are better off asking about a particular lake, than a county.

12/16/14 @ 7:27 PM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02
Mark, Thats a pretty wide open question, lots of good lakes in Vilas for panfish. Check out the fishing reports page close to your area an ask some specific lake questions from there...too many to cover up. Look close and work your way outward. Good Luck!

12/16/14 @ 8:45 AM
ajs
ajs
User since 12/19/01
I dont know that area but Going to your local bait shop and spending some money is a good way to get some info. ask a few simple question and see where it takes you from there.

Ajs

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.