Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

New spring proposals

2/11/20 @ 5:37 AM
ORIGNAL POST
jkb
User since 6/25/02

I am proposing two rule changes during the spring hearings after extensive talks with several local bait shop owners.  There is extreme concern over pan fish limits by these men and I agree,  Right now it is difficult to find a lake in east central Wisconsin where you can go and catch quality pan fish on a consistent basis.  I have watched the total collapse of pan fish fisheries on Fox Lake and Lake Emily and despite the protests of a vocal few that have claimed everything from pelican diets to water lice infestations and protest because 25/10 limits don't provide them enough fish for a meal, I am going through with this proposal.  I am doing it for the future of the resource.  I want the kids I taught to be able to catch decent pan fish in the wonderful lakes we have in east central Wisconsin.  As technology improves, even the novice fisherman can become an effective fisherman that can easily harvest too many pan fish.  I have also been given the excuse that local businesses will suffer as a result of these proposals but I contend that businesses are struggling now as few fisherman are venturing to this area to pan fish any more because of the lack of productive lakes.

These two proposals are aimed at improving the pan fish populations and giving anglers an opportunity to harvest smaller northern pike.  Large game fish can be contaminated by mercury and heavy metals in Wisconsin.  All large game fish are under a mercury warning in Wisconsin.  Here are the proposals.  Lake Emily is not included as the DNR already has oked a pan fish restriction and a reduction in the pike size limit.

Pan fish bag limit decrease proposaI

We are proposing a reduction in the allowable bag limit of pan fish from the current limit of 25 to the 25/10 limits on some lakes in Wisconsin.  There are currently no lakes in the three counties we wish to decrease the numbers in that have a reduced bag limit.  This proposal applies to lakes that have historically produced large panfish but due to over harvest have had the numbers drastically reduced.  These lakes see a lot of pressure on the resource especially during the ice fishing season. This proposal aligns with the goals set for forth by the Pan fish Management Team on the 10 year Strategic Plan For Managing Wisconsin’s Pan fish.  I have received support from Travis Motl, Dodge county fisheries biologist,  and Dave Bartz, Green Lake and Marquette county fisheries biologist on these proposals.

The counties and lakes included in the proposal are: Dodge County-Fox Lake.  Green Lake County- Big Green Lake, Grand Lake (Kingston Mill Pond), Little Green Lake, Big and Little Twin Lake, and Spring Lake. Marquette County- Buffalo Lake , Montello Lake, and Lake Puckaway.

Northern slot proposal

I am proposing a reduction in the size limit of northern pike from the 26” and 32” size limits on Kingston Mill Pond (Grand Lake) in Green Lake County and Fox Lake (Dodge County) respectively.  I am proposing a 3 fish limit with 2 fish limit between 20-26” and a 1 over 36”.  Every large old fish in Wisconsin is under a mercury advisory.  The older they are , the greater the chance of having high levels of mercury in them.  Reducing the population of northern pike would relieve some pressure on the prey fish populations and allow more growth of the remaining pike.  This proposal has received approval from Greg Sass, lead fisheries biologist for the state of Wisconsin, Travis Motl, Dodge county fisheries biologist and Dave Bartz, Green Lake county fisheries biologist.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 73 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/24/20 @ 6:37 AM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

There are many factors that lead to fish mortality after release.  The depth the fish is brought up from can affect the fish as most fish except the salmonoids of which trout and whitefish belong will die due to pressure differences which cause the air bladder to blow up.  The salmonoids have a vented swim bladder and can "burp" air to equalize pressure. 

Because of a lower metabolism and usually higher oxygen content , cold water results in higher percentage of successful releases.  Many muskie fisherman stop fishing for muskies once water temps reach 80 as low oxygen levels and higher temps result in lactic acid build up and lower successful releases.

Length of battle on rod and reel also increase lactic acid build up and result in lower survival rate but the two most important aspects of catch and release are time out of the water and hook location.  That is why being prepared with forceps or pliers is most important.  The more experience you have unhooking fish the better the chance of survival.  I've seen fish with ripped gills that have survived but that is the exception rather than the rule.  There is conflicting research on whether to cut the line on throat hooked fish or try to remove the hook.  Removing the hook from a throat hooked fish results in a lot of trauma but keeping it in the throat prevents the fish from swallowing food.

Here is a good link for removing gut hooked fish.

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/through-the-gill-hook-removal/155024

2/23/20 @ 9:51 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

jkb, isn't it true that mortality is much lower in cold water than in warm water?  So maybe like 10-15% in cold water on average, and then like 25-50% in the summer.  

2/23/20 @ 10:15 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I would have loved to have been there! What a pike fest! Lol

You’re right that a lot of anglers could use better Un-Hooking skills. If you’re not eating it, take good care of it. I agree 100%. 

2/23/20 @ 1:03 AM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

We caught 150 pike on one day,  Released 149 .  I have taught my kids to be prepared with forceps and explain how to remove hooks from fish without jaw spreaders and how to remove deeply hooked fish by going in from the side between the gills.  90% of the fish we catch are in the lips or just inside the mouth.  We get to the flag immediately and set when the fish is moving away which results in most hooks in the side of the mouth.

I have never commented on hook mortality for pike.  I have commented on using quick strike rigs rather than swedish hooks in the past.

2/22/20 @ 10:46 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

I think Wisconsin needs to simplify the rules and regulations.  Stop writing up policies based on individual bodies of water and ending at county lines.  

Way to confusing looking at 32 pages of county regulations for Wisconsin, when you can look at Michigan's county regulations in 4 pages.  

Simplify things and look to do things for the best of the state.  Focusing on individual lakes is both confusing, and I believe counterproductive.  Every body of water shouldn't be an excellent fishery.  

2/22/20 @ 8:10 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

JKB, On another thread you were talking about your fishing team having 150 flags in one day. I believe you mentioned mortality rate of hooked fish on this thread maybe, or was it some one else? 

2/22/20 @ 9:52 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

I think jkb just had his "I am Spartacus" moment, hahaha

2/21/20 @ 7:59 PM
icefish01
User since 1/23/06

Keep your eye on the prize jkb. Just like any conversation on the net. Always gonna be someone arguing with what a person says or does.

2/21/20 @ 7:17 PM
yahay
User since 11/28/07

Fin Bender nailed it.  Amazing how some people justify their actions isn't it.  "Ya but, ya but...................."

Anyways, this is why we need new panfish reg's, in particular 5 5 5 from April 1st to July 1st.  Spawning fish are getting way over harvested during the spawn, & because we can't legislate common sense, we need new reg's. 

There is plenty of blame to go around, & we can be & usually are our worst enemies, thus new reg's.  To me this would b a great start. 

Also, three tip down's really.  It's become comical watching as the  entire family rolls in & dad sets up 18 tip downs. Two of the kids r still in diapers & the other 2 can't ties there shoes yet.  Guess who sets up  the tip downs, runs to the tip down, catches that 7" Crappie, which is kept, and then rebaits that tip down?  The only thing he didn't do was change the chit diapers.  This is a crock of chit, no pun intended.  Well, now that I vented, gonna have an ice cold Coor's Lite & watch the truck race.  

2/21/20 @ 7:06 PM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

Thank you Fish Bender.  It is refreshing to hear from someone with a similar belief.  Either we are the minority or the non believers are the loudest.  I have an absolute passion for hunting and fishing and I will do everything in my power to ensure it remains strong for the future.  It is very easy to sit back and do nothing, it is difficult to stand up for what you believe in when you know it is better for the future but you know there will be a lot of flack.  .  My proposals call for a slight decrease in bag limits.  You can still keep 25 , just only 10 of a species.  It also calls for a decrease in pike size limit so you can catch eat smaller ones that are better eating.

Icebelt , you continue to amaze me.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 73 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.