SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Nebish Lake and Lost Canoe SNA

6/12/21 @ 2:42 PM
INITIAL POST
JamesE
User since 10/6/09

Was planning a canoe camping trip and I was looking into this area. When looking at the Nebish Lake public access details page on the dnr website the comments section says fishing by special permit only. OK..., so I check the current fishing regs and there's no mention of permits to fish Nebish, Pallette, or Escanaba. Found some very old fishing reports here on Lake-Link mention permits but that's it. Are permits still required here and if so, why is that not mentioned in the regs?

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
6/16/21 @ 11:14 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

Lots of memories on this set of lakes.  My older brother was a biologist there from '78 until '99.  Spent a few days over Christmas Break ice fishing while in college.  Used to do fairly well on Escanaba & Nebish.

6/14/21 @ 9:13 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Next thing you know there'll be a JamesF..... Pallet Lake is one of my favorites with water clear enough to see logs 30 feet down. Like the others there are special regs for Lake Trout on Pallet so check the book. We jigged castmasters deep but never caught one. That canoe route is one of my favorites.

6/13/21 @ 11:22 AM
Quackshot
Quackshot
User since 1/16/11

I haven't been there for 3 years but I believe the process is unchanged. Simply stop at the check in station and check in. You will check in once again upon your departure. Lakes have been part of an outgoing study hence the check in & out procedure.

That being said Nebish is loaded with smallies. Simple crawler on a small hook with a split shot - 8 to 15 FOW. Small plastics will work as well but live bait seems to be the ticket. Last time there our group of three caught and released 40 smallies. Not much size but plenty of action. Nice place to take new anglers

6/13/21 @ 9:28 AM
JamesE
User since 10/6/09

So it is fishing by permit.

Kind of sounds unappealing if camping on Pallette that you can't wet your line in the morning without first portaging over to Escanaba and paddling down to the DNR station.

Guess they must use those lakes all sorts of studies and need to keep them wired tight.    

6/12/21 @ 8:06 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

You  can also get the permit at the station at Escanaba lake and as mentioned no lead tackle is allowed and interestingly open year round for game fish bag limits etc are different but they'll inform you about them when you get a permit 

6/12/21 @ 7:49 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

You can get the permit at the DNR research station off of Nebish lake road.It's no big deal.

I can't comment on Lost canoe but Nebish is mostly small SMB.I do know that lead is banned on Nebish.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE