Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Most Overrated Lakes in Wisconsin

10/20/21 @ 2:30 PM
ORIGINAL POST
TigerMusky
USER SINCE 9/14/21

What lakes in Wisconsin do you consider to be overrated/never live up to the hype?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 56 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/31/21 @ 11:08 AM
wallywood
USER SINCE 1/1/02

I mentioned those counties because they contained the lakes I used to target for walleyes the most. Yes the Chippewa Flowage, Willow flowage, TTF and lakes like Tomahawk, Pelican etc. etc. are somewhat still living off there reputation from years ago.

10/31/21 @ 5:39 AM
Leechster
Leechster
USER SINCE 1/22/21

Well said Eyesman

10/30/21 @ 7:10 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER SINCE 1/7/02

Overrated or underrated is all in the eyes of the fisherman on any particular body of water. Someone looking to catch a couple meals of fish in a relaxing setting is  very happy with an out of the way lake that has minimal traffic and gives up some fish while a trophy seeker would be disappointed in that same water. Likewise a body of water known to produce good numbers, with trophy potential and is crowded would be a disappointment to someone looking to relax and catch a meal of fish. 

10/30/21 @ 5:49 PM
fishs
USER SINCE 2/17/04

So ...what rating system are you guys going by to underrate or overrate any given lake.. county...state?

10/30/21 @ 3:54 PM
wallywood
USER SINCE 1/1/02

My targeted gamefish of choice are walleyes.From my perspective the quality of fishing for them in Sawyer, Iron, Oneida, and Vilas county is now marginal at best. The scenic beauty of the northwoods is still legendary, however the walleye fishing is sadly overrated.There are many reasons for this and we all know them. There I said it, don't hate on me.

10/30/21 @ 12:25 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER SINCE 11/29/01

There was a time when Shawano Lake had a 25 limit for northern.  As for me, I dont care that much as long as I get some peace and quiet.

10/30/21 @ 12:21 PM
Knot so hot
Knot so hot
USER SINCE 1/28/11

SHAWANO LAKE.....

unless 20" pike and 5" gills are what you are after, I suggest fishing elsewhere. The only positives are the average size crappies (8-10") and the walleye population seems to be making a slight comeback with help from Walleyes For Tomorrow program  

10/30/21 @ 5:44 AM
Mr.Seaguar
USER SINCE 2/5/05

I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm never gonna fish WI other than the MS river. But the proper response when anyone says the the fishing is not good in a certain area is to reply that it requires skill to catch them there so you probably better go somewhere else. It usually leads to a spirited discussion.

10/30/21 @ 1:21 AM
huntfishcrappie
USER SINCE 2/23/16

I think we have some of the best fishing over all... I agree with the person that time on the water is more important than anything.. Driving 8 to 12 hours to fish not me... Milwaukee to la crosse 3 hours perch walleye panfish game on... Northern Wisconsin for muskie bass panfish no problem... Clear lake High lake lake Alice all good... We have it all I love It here but it is not the good old days.. we all go to our phones and get the best bites in minutes... The days of week old information are gone just like the local bait shops.. A good cup of coffee and B.S. are gone..We all have our own place in this great state mine castle rock just because I spend alot of time up on it... Why cause I bought a place by it...All enjoy what we have no matter where you go.. Good luck may you have a limit of fish or just a fish of a life time.. Fish on...

10/29/21 @ 9:31 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

jumpsteady, I remember that about Whitewater.... still never tried it,  at that time I was debating joining the B.A.S.S. tournaments... was the only time I ever thought about going to Florida,  lol

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 56 POSTS
Advertise here
The head, body and goose-feather accents of each jig are entirely purple and enhanced with Ultra Glow technology, which holds a charge for as many as 15 minutes. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: VMC - NEW Glow Purple Tungsten Fly and Bullfly Jigs
Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos feature a Ceymar micro baitfeeder, a full grip non-reel seat handle for customized placement, and a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos
An ice rod built as tough as the frozen winter landscape of the ice belt. A new platform for St. Croix, the Tundra series is a culmination of ice centric features demanded by hardwater anglers. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Tundra Ice Rods
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.