Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Locating Fish on Lowrance Fish Finder

4/15/21 @ 9:45 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Fishoargolf
USER SINCE 4/19/18

What boat speed do you use to locate baitfish or mark fish? I always hear about locating fish before starting to catch any. I either don't locate them or the boat speed is incorrect. Any specific recommendations on a particular model and boat travel speed?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/7/21 @ 9:16 PM
nemab-man
USER SINCE 7/5/11

I don't know anything specific to the Lowrance brand, but I know a little bit about fish finders.

The speed over bottom that a sonar can pick up fish and bottom is specific to the model of fish finder, with flasher type sonar being "faster" than screen units and capable of operating at greater speed over bottom.  I use a Garmin sonar with GPS, which shows speed over bottom, and my sonar stops picking up at about 5mph. This Garmin also has color and flasher mode, both of which are effective. The flasher mode picks up fish and bottom at slightly faster speed than the screen  mode, and the color on the screen mode will tell the strength of the return signal. The faster you are going the shorter or smaller the return will appear on the screen, but a weak return is always light blue and a strong return is always yellow or red on my sonar unit. 

The sonar advertisements all feature pictures with beatiful returns all facing the same direction the sonar is traveling. Them are fish down there, no doubt. But what if the lateral line of bigger fish is perpendicular to the travel of the transducer- short strong return but it'll just be a blip.

5/3/21 @ 1:08 PM
LacLaLarry
USER SINCE 3/27/13

Last week I plugged in my Lowrance Hook5 in the garage to make sure it works after storage.  It worked, marking a parade of fish on the screen!  Now I know to ignore thqt parade when I'm actually in water...

4/17/21 @ 10:22 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

youtube has a ton of How To videos on using your locator, some are specific to your model, others are just good info... you can search on YouTube for how to or your specific locator

this is a nice one on using side imaging, down imaging ... you can see speed on the locators during the videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwbcd9MdWg8&t=101s

4/17/21 @ 9:59 AM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
USER SINCE 3/29/20

Usually trolling drifting or anchoring you should be able to mark both bait fish and game fish. But it isn't unusual to mark bait and fish but not catch any or to catch fish while marking little or nothing on the locator 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Keep your beverages nice and cood with double-walled vacuum insulation from Grizzly. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly Drinkware
Precision trolling with a low profile at an affordable price. Loaded with features, the Convector Low Profile Line Counter will keep you in the strike zone! PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Convector Low Profile Line Counter Reel
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.