Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Local wood for bunks?

2/16/20 @ 12:01 PM
INITIAL POST
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

Hey, all

I’m seeing recommendations for cypress and Douglas fit for bunks. I’m in the Racine area and not seeing any online at the local yards(menards,depot and Lowe’s) I’m mostly just finding the common “white wood”. Would that be good enough? Any help or direction would be appreciated. 

Edit: This trailer will be used for a 14’ non painted Aluminum boat and don’t want issues with corrosion from treated wood. 

Thanks, 

James 

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
2/19/20 @ 10:56 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I would be surprised if your local lumber dealer had 2x4 and 2x6 in doug fir.  Doug Fir is most often comes 2x10 and 2x12 and is largely valued for  floor joists due to its stability.  Tends to be reddish in color.

Another alternative IMO is oak or ash as they tend to be stable and reasonably rot resistant. 

2/19/20 @ 10:07 AM
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

James, 

Thanks for all that info. I’m really ignorant when it comes to woods. I went to Home Depot and menards asking for Douglas fir 2x4’s/ 2x6’s and both told me they didn’t stock it. I ended up getting some from Dunn Lumber in lake Geneva after work yesterday. At least now I know and will be better prepared for the next time. 

Thanks, 

James 

2/19/20 @ 9:25 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Doug Fir is probably the way to go. All lumber yards are able to order it and get it in days. Many have it in stock if you ask. Most have white wood or SPF which is Spruce, Pine, and Fir (douglas fir). Fir is usually a better grade wood and code allows you to build with a different, smaller size board, because it is a stronger wood. Earlier comments about treated wood being caustic to boats may have changed because of the new chemicals they use in the process. With carpeted bunks it probably doesn't matter.

2/18/20 @ 4:59 PM
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

I ended up just getting some Douglas fir for the project. I want to thank everyone who commented to help me out. I appreciate all the suggestions.

James 

2/17/20 @ 1:33 PM
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

I went over to Kendor today. I wish I had gone and checked that place out a long time ago as they have a lot of odds and ends I could have used on different projects. No luck on bunks besides smaller treated wood in a package setup. 

I seen the plastic “lumber” at menards. They could have it in a couple weeks. I’m going to research the strength of that stuff tonight. My longest span between supports will be about 3’ 4” and I plan to lay the boards flat (horizontal). It’s for a 14’ aluminum boat so with motor and some gear, maybe 600Lbs +/-

Thanks again, guys 

James 

2/17/20 @ 1:06 PM
Budman
User since 8/17/01

You could use cedar or plastic "lumber" boards.

2/16/20 @ 12:54 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I’m betting there are other synthetic options available at Cabellas, Kendor, or local Marinas - where you could save the shipping...

I’d poke around on-line and see what you can find...

2/16/20 @ 12:45 PM
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

Thanks, Brent. I checked out the site and looks like it be a one time solution going with the ultimate bunks. Dang shipping costs almost as much as the boards... it’d be nice not to have to change wood and carpet every few years though. 

Thanks, 

James 

2/16/20 @ 12:20 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Found it

Looks like the recommendation was Ultimate Bunk Boards

2/16/20 @ 12:14 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

There was a thread on this, but I couldn’t seem to find it...

I do recall that most folks who posted recommended synthetic bunks over wood.  

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE