Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Live gobies for bait

8/9/16 @ 9:57 AM
ORIGNAL POST
skybuster1969
MEMBER since 10/22/03

I cant seem to find an answer as to weather of not its legal to use them as bait . " in the same place you catch them " . I know they cant be transported , I just want to know if its legal to catch them , put them on a hook and use them as bait for game fish . 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/6/16 @ 5:45 PM
ESOX68
ESOX68
User since 2/21/06

I caught one ice fishing and through it in the minnow bucket and it died real quick.

8/17/16 @ 2:30 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

I agree with you about the birds BA, but they can't write regulations for the birds ( boy, is that an opening! haha )... but they can write regulations on who they can hope to manage, namely us dumb ol humans

8/17/16 @ 10:27 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
I wish that true statement that fisherman can be to the blame

but all waterfowl can carry eggs and seeds to any location

make a pond and it will be stocked 

10/29/12 @ 2:25 AM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05

I would like to keep the rule is. the last thing we need is some idiot see you catch a few big walleyes on a gobie, then take a bucket of them to a lake up north.

I don't see the upside to allowing them to be used as bait.

8/16/16 @ 5:51 PM
skybuster1969
MEMBER since 10/22/03

I would like to comend every one for their info . I hope soon the DNR  will allow people to use them as bait in the same waters they were caught in . Seeing as how the fish are eating them anyway .

8/14/16 @ 10:00 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

Sadly, the egg eating Gobies are here to stay. They were first noticed in Duluth but slowly infected other Great Lakes harbors too. I got jumped on once before, when I suggested them as a deadbait for walleyes on Green Bay ,while shore fishing. Clearly what should never happen is anyone carrying a bait bucket with any kind of live Goby swimming in it. The same idea applies to the rule for alewives, which have been in the Great Lakes a lot longer. Trolling in Green Bay some boats have a small entourage of gulls or pelicans following behind to eat the gobies we smash with the pliers, and then toss  back to them.

8/13/16 @ 6:43 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
They were found in 1994 on the east shore of Lake Michigan and have now invaded all of the Great Lakes, the Mississippi, and most likely all tributaries that lead to Lake Michigan up to the first dam.

1. Eat the eggs and young of native fish (sculpins, darters, lake trout, smallmouth bass).
2. Protect vital spawning sites from native fish (sculpins).
3. Have sharp senses that allow them to find food in total darkness.
4. Can survive in poor water conditions.
5. Reproduce up to six times a summer.

22 years? relatively new threat

8/13/16 @ 3:18 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

Just got this back from Josh, at the DNR Aquatic Invasive Species page.

"It is currently ILLEGAL to use gobies as bait in any waters in the state, including the Great Lakes.  I am not exactly sure on the reason behind not being able to use them as bait in waters they are caught in, but my best guess would be because they are a relatively new threat.  However, I did forward your questions on to someone a little higher up than myself, and as soon as they get back to me I will let you know what they say.

Thanks for the great questions and let me know if there is anything else I can help out with."

Will follow up with any more information he may send.

8/9/16 @ 2:21 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Do NOT quote me on this.  But the way I understand that is those laws are for the inland waters of our state.  The gobies are illegal to use for bait.  But they are now natural in Green Bay and Lake Michigan.  If you catch one, why on earth can't you use it for bait?  So where it says "state waters" I do believe it is pertaining to the inland lakes.  But, if you did get that quote from the great lakes regulations, then I would believe it is illegal (and stupid) that you can't catch a goby, then use it for bait right where you caught it!

Interesting, when I look at the Great Lakes regulations on fish limits, Gobies are closed but you can kill one to send to the DNR.  This might be the reason you can't use one for bait.  Seems pretty silly to me!

8/9/16 @ 12:10 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

"to use goldfish, gobies or alewife in any form for bait in state waters"

Are the Great Lakes and their tributaries up to the first dam considered State Waters?  I thought they were regulated by the Federal Gov't

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.